Awning Tension Rafter

judger

I recently bought a 26 foot 1995 Jayco travel trailer with a Coleman Awning. We have for years left our awnings down as low as possible most of the summer even when we departed but the last time a freak wind bent the removable thick aluminum center tension rafter like it was a wet noodle. I can see no other obvious damage to the awning supports and arms and can only conclude that the awning partially retracted on one side and the force of a 24x8 awning sail totaled the rafter. This was confirmed when I tested the extender arms for the awning and found that the friction knobs on each side slip and do not stop the awning from being retracted if one manually pushes on the awning retractor bar at the outside edge of the awning.

Here's my problem. I understand that Coleman no longer sells awnings so getting a tension rafter replacement from them is out. One end of the old Coleman rafter slipped over a several inch long little bar (parallel to the trailer) under the cradle that holds the awning when retracted. There is a small hole in the awning retractor that accepted the other end of the rafter (the Coleman rafter was jointed and pivoted to full length and then was held extended by a pin that went through the two pieces- I believe that the retractor end also had a "shock absorber" attached to the pin going into the retractor hole).

Tension rafters are quite expensive things and I cannot determine if any replacements will match up to the Coleman cradle and hole in the retractor. I would appreciate any advise and recommendations for replacing the rafter.

Thank you.