Awnings over slideouts

thumbs

What is the deal with the awnings over the slideouts? I thought they may be a good idea just to keep the leaves and rain off the slide. I am told they really aren't needed. What have you guys found? What are the pros and cons.

Thanks

Gary

Souderton, Pa

BarneyS

Awnings over slideouts

Hi again Thumbs, Seems like we are having our own private conversation with all the posts.:)
We have an awning over our slide. As you mentioned, it keeps the leaves etc. off the top and it also makes it a little cooler in the sun.

There are a couple of disadvantages,
1. Rain tends to pool on top. If you don't remember that and are standing near it when you bring in the slide, you will get a bath. (only happens one time though) :) I frequently go out after a rain with a broom and push up on the fabric to let the water out. Others have recommended putting a beach ball between the fabric and the slide roof.

2. Some people have had a problem with the fabric unrolling as they are travelling. This has never happened to us though and we have travelled a lot!

All in all, I feel the slide topper is the way to go. I am glad we have one and will have one on the next trailer if we ever trade.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

thumbs

Awnings over slideouts

bsmith0337

Yeah, your my new best friend. Like I said before I just want to figure what I need. I will probably hold off right now on the awning just for cash reasons. I think it may be the way to go after a while. My wife gave me a funny look when I told her I was thinkin about it. I told er ok every time it rains or we park under a tree you go up and clean off the slide. Didn't go over to well to say the least. I'm not her new best friend sometimes. It will probably take a little time till we get it set up just right.

Gary

Souderton, Pa

C Nash

Awnings over slideouts

Gary, our cougar did not have the slide awning and I had to go up on top and sweep it off ever time I slide the room in if we had parked under trees. Our MH has the awning on both slides and so far I'am a beliver. Like Bsmith said water will poole up and pour off when retracted but, guess a free bath every once in a while is ok. Have heard some say varmints were bad to carry nuts and acorns under the awning.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

thumbs

Awnings over slideouts

Sounds like six of one half dozen of another huh? I guess I'm gonna try er without for a while any way. I do think eventualy we will have to get one.

Thanks again guy's

Gary

Souderton, Pa

buckbs

Awnings over slideouts

Thanks for the slide information. I have just purchased a new f-350 tubodiesel, dualie, and a new 35ft. Newmar fifth wheeler. My next purchase consideration was awnings for slides, but I have three slides, and I'm over my budget already. I'm also alienating my other half with all the money that I'm spending, but did not want to do without the awnings if they really protected my investment that I just made. I guess that it's up to the individual on whether they go with slide awnings or not.