back up camera questions

jkill2001

i have a 32' bounder with no back-up camera and would really like to add one to my m/h, how hard would it be to add and roughly how much. the other question is that if i do get one can i use a second camera on the monitor? like have a wire ran on my trailer i tow and mount a camera on the back of the trailer so when i back up to things i see whats back there. im pretty sure i can handle the install of everything just curious to see how practical it is

hertig

back up camera questions

Depends on whether you go B&W or color, and whether you use a LCD screen or a tube screen. A good, color, LCD system could run as much as $1000 plus installation. You might be able to get a B&W, Tube display system for under $500.

Most monitors have multiple inputs and a switch to select which to view. Mine has 3 (Left, Right and Rear). Probably the most difficult part of the system you envision is the connection of wiring between the trailer and the MH; gotta be reliable, easy to connect, and weatherproof. I was toying with using a wireless system with my 5ver, but never got around to it, and now its gone... Probably would cost more, though

jkill2001

back up camera questions

yea i've seen the wireless one's but i think i'd rather have a hard wired one. and for the trailer i'd have to see what kind of wire it is maybe if its just regular house hold video cable i can make it waterproof some how and still removable

hertig

back up camera questions

Maybe mount a piece of PVC with one wire siliconed into a cap and the other wire siliconed into a cap on the other end, with the whole contraption mounted to the bumper or hitch. Would need a spare cap to keep the crap out of the tube when the trailer was not hooked up, though. Or if it was regular video cable, there may be a weather proof connector available. I vaguely remember seeing a system with the wires exposed which looked more like telephone cable than video cable, though.

Also, I've seen at least one company (audiovox maybe?) which offers a 'fifth wheel' backup camera; they might have the connection and wires you'd need.

Puddinhead

back up camera questions

I just got my new RV, it has trans problems after just 100 miles and even the back up camera system has problems !

Only time the back up cam is ON is when the RV is in park mode. Its one of those DVD decks that fits in the radio slot.

Patrick

hertig

back up camera questions

Puddinhead, 2 things to check. 1) Some backup cameras have an 'auto' mode, where it turns on automatically when you put it into reverse. Yours could be wired wrong so it only comes on in Park. There should be a defeat or manual mode where it is on all the time; see your manual for how to activate it (temporary fix). 2) It is required by law that any TV in direct view of the driver is powered off while driving. Your unit may be wired as a 'TV', although usually the solinoid which implements this function is activated by the ignition switch being in run mode.

In any case, sounds like you need to take it to a warranty station to get it rewired and/or replaced.

Jerry Bowers

back up camera questions

I installed a camera on the back of my 5th wheel. Bought a standard B & W monitor, camera, connection cable. Ordered an extension cable that I think was 30 ft.
Installed the camera on back of fifth wheel, ran cable underneath and left it loose on front hitch.
Ran the extension cable out the floor board under the carpet, under the truck and up thru the tail light section. Screwed the two together when I hooked up.
Worked fine. I had a bad wire I ran to the back up light and it did not work when you put it in reverse. I could have replaced the 16 ga wire, but being lazy, I just pushed the button to turn it on. This cost me about $250 for everything. I am pretty sure there is an A and B button for two different cameras, but would have to look at it to be sure. I used this for about 6 months and it worked great. Went to RV show and bought a Motorhome on a whim. If you would like, I can check the monitor for one or two line connections. It is boxed in the garage.
To run two, you would need two cameras, and a lot of wire. The extension cable I bought was about $40. You would need a total two, along with an extra normal cable and a second camera. This is if the monitor will operate with two.

jkill2001

back up camera questions

would u be interested in selling it if it isn't being used. but yes if u don't mind looking would u mind please

Jerry Bowers

back up camera questions

It is a Safety Vission Model SV-511 kit
Yes, it has a place for to cameras to be hooked to monitor. They are labeled CA1 and CA2. Of course, by design, they have a unique plug so you will need cables made by this company.
Go on internet and see what an extra camera, more cables would cost and view the system I have and see if it is worth while or if you want it. Yes, I would sell it for say $110 me paying normal freight like mail or ups.
If you want it, email me with your address to
jbowersflo@earthlink.net or jbowers@esab.com
I can mail it and send you my address for a check. Do check online first to be sure it is what you want to do. Jerry
PS: I bought this thru Federal Express that has a discount with the Safety Vision. I worked there during Christmas holidays.

phlemb

back up camera questions

I use a wireless color camera that I got for $45.00 and a lcd 7" tv/monitor $120.00 they work great. I have a 33 A class '98 Itasca and I have the camera looking thru the rear window. I have it wired to a bedroom lamp, (cheaper than 9 volt batteries),it's on all of the timewhile I'm driving, I unplug the camera when I park it. the only thing I might do differently down the road is to get a camera that has night vision $55.00, its a lot cheaper than $800.00

jkill2001

back up camera questions

where'd you get the camera and monitor? im pretty sure i'd reather have it running off my ignition and reverse.

pguerry

back up camera questions

quote:Originally posted by jkill2001

i have a 32' bounder with no back-up camera and would really like to add one to my m/h, how hard would it be to add and roughly how much. the other question is that if i do get one can i use a second camera on the monitor? like have a wire ran on my trailer i tow and mount a camera on the back of the trailer so when i back up to things i see whats back there. im pretty sure i can handle the install of everything just curious to see how practical it is

pguerry

back up camera questions

check out this outfit..intercept investigations ph no. 425.313.1776..i just got one 5.5 black and white backup system $125.00 plus shipping cost will take two cameras and yes it is easy to install, sure you can do it..good luck pete