Baja Travel 2004/05

windridge

I am looking for RV company to drive through the Baja. I travel by myself and would feel better if I had 1 or 2 other rigs with me for the trip down and back. Once I am in an area I like, then I am comfortable on my own. I plan on camping on a quiet beach like the beaches around Mulege.

If you might be interested in Baja travel, please let me know. Also if you know of other forums I can use to find Baja travellers, please let me know. I am not a large caravan type of person.

jo-anne peacock

Baja Travel 2004/05

Hello,

We're planning a trip to the Baja also, and like you are a bit "wary of going it alone". We'll be leaving in November, and once there will be staying 2 weeks in Todos Santos taking a Spanish course. We are a family of 4, and live in VT. We do understand that one should not "boondock" alone, always be with a couple more rigs.

Jo- n' Bill

windridge

Baja Travel 2004/05

Thanks so much for replying to my request.

Unfortunately I am looking to spend about 3 months in the Baja. Your November departure date was fine but we don't match on our return date. I might still be interested in joining you on the way down, depending on what other opportunities come up for me. I am sure I would have enjoyed travelling with your family. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I think that I noticed in your email reference to VT. I haven't yet memorized every state's short form but I am assuming it is Vermont. I lived in Ottawa, Ontario up till 3 years ago so I have travelled into Vermont on many occasions. I love Vermont.

jo-anne peacock

Baja Travel 2004/05

Hi!

We're 3-4 hours South of Montreal. We've a friend in the Yukon who's from Edmonton, small world.

We need to make a decision SOON if we're flying or RVing. We're torn on which way to go. Let us know, we'd love to join someone on way down.

Jo- n' Bill

windridge

Baja Travel 2004/05

Great. Please keep me posted.

I know that you have not asked me for my opinion however, I would recommend your family flying down there if you only have 2 weeks. I am mostly thinking about the distance that you have to cover coming from the East and I have heard that the one highway in Baja is very bumpy and is slow.

Maybe you could consider renting a car for your weeks or weekends while you are down there. I rented one several years back when my niece and her husband got married in Cabo San Lucas. I had no problems with the rental however I spent most of my time around Cabo San Lucas. I missed going to Todos Santos but I hear it is great and, if I remember correctly, it is the art/craft colony. I imagine that you will get the opportunity to see many great things. I spent quite a bit of time in Mexico/Baja over the years and I feel like I am "going home" when I get there. I don't know how old your children are. I can tell you that the Mexicans, men and women, love children, epecially young ones. My 3 1/2 year old grand niece was flower girl at the wedding so she got star treatment everywhere, especially restaurants.

Anyhow, I am rambling. Please keep in touch as I would love to hear about your trip, even if we do not travel together.

Cate

jo-anne peacock

Baja Travel 2004/05

Hi Cate,

Actually, today I think we've come to the decision of flying, unless, of course, if otherwise talked into it, which wouldn't take much. The 2 weeks of staying vs. 4 of driving is here nor there. We did 17K miles, 100 sleepies doing perimeter of States to AK and back!.

One, we're not very comfortable with flying since 9/11 and we're probably quite silly, but with 2 little ones...who will be 8 and 5 1/2 then. The reason for the trip is the soon-to-be-8 y.o. wishes to celebrate ob'day in MX. She's been self-teaching Spanish almost a year now, with help of a retired teacher, and she has the GIFT. We're able to nurture this for her and feel obligated.

We are adventurous and would love to drive it, but the Police pull-overs make me nervous due to the kids reaction (we're not drug or gun runners). I just don't know how they'd react every time it happened - 1x, 2x, but ALOT? Makes me nervous in their sense. If it was just Bill n' I it'd be a different story.

BUT we're torn in which mode of transportation we should go. We'll be in touch. Todos sounds like our kind of place. I checked into Mulege, but no language course...

Thanks for writing with us.

Jo-

jo-anne peacock

Baja Travel 2004/05

Hi Cate,

Understand there are only 3 police stops between border and Todos, so we're still contemplating Rving, and our cat should be allowed, too. She's a cool RVing kitty!, and that was one of the reasons for being gone so long.

Have you made any headway with your plans?

Jo-

windridge

Baja Travel 2004/05

I have not gotten any further on connecting with someone to join to drive through the Baja. I have been very busy with other things so I must admit that I haven't focused on it too much. I plan on stepping up my efforts in the next month or so. I have to find some more forums to post to.

If I am not able to connect for this year, I am thinking about spending some time on Padre Island, Texas and maybe, head to Louisiana for the Mardi Gras. How knows?

Good luck with your plans.

Cate