Batteries

rjfoster03

Am looking to purchase a deep cycle battery for our TT and wanted to know which is the best option to go with.

1. Single 12 volt, Group 27H (Reserve capacity of 180) or 29H battery (Reserve capacity of 2000)
2. Two 12 volt, Group 24H (Reserve capacity of about 150 each), batteries wired in Parallel
3. Two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries wired in Series

buckbs

Batteries

Not sure which is best, but I do know that the two 24H twelve volt batteries that I have hooked in parallel has worked very well for me. They hold a charge a very long time and they are less expensive than the golf cart batteries.

C Nash

Batteries

rjfoster03' what kind of camping will you be doing? If you will be mostly camping where you have electrical hook ups the single 12 volt will probably serve you ok but, if you plan on a lot of boondocking the 6 volt golf cart batteries in series will be best and a set of 4 6 volts are great. Not all 4 in series as that would be 24 volts :eek: but, as buckbs said they are $$$$$$. If I was going with the 12s I would use the deep cycle batteries (AJMO)

rjfoster03

Batteries

We will be doing a combination of electrical hook-up situations and boondocking as well. The 6 volt / series combination is appearing to be the better choice for us. Thanks

thumbs

Batteries

rjfoster03

I have a pair of Trojan 145's in my fifthwheel. It is the way to go for long term power. With the 12volt we would run out of power using the heater in about 4 to 5hrs. The two 6volt golf cart batteries work great and really hang in there. If you are on the road in the winter or in cool weather and stop at a truck stop or WalMart over night you better have battery power. Trust me. If you ever run out of power at 12 midnight and it's cold it can make for a real LoNNNNg night.

hertig

Batteries

If you have the room for them and can stand the weight, 2 6v batteries in series (or even 2 more in parallel with these) is probably the ultimate in power and durability. If size or weight is a problem, 2 12v TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries in parallel can be an adequate substitute.

2 batteries in parallel are better than 1 battery alone. I'm not sure why this is, but all the tests show the parallel hookup gives better performance than 1 battery which is the equivalent to the sum of the two.

No matter how your battery bank in constructed, keep in mind that you want to avoid draining them more than 50% in order to get the best life out of them.

jdarstpt40

Batteries

DEFINITELY THE 6 VOLTS BATTERIES! 220 amp hours per pair at 12 volts, safely discharge them 75%. I have been using them for 10 years, they will live thru mistakes without any problems. Good for 700 DEEP cycles...

quote:Originally posted by rjfoster03

Am looking to purchase a deep cycle battery for our TT and wanted to know which is the best option to go with.

1. Single 12 volt, Group 27H (Reserve capacity of 180) or 29H battery (Reserve capacity of 2000)
2. Two 12 volt, Group 24H (Reserve capacity of about 150 each), batteries wired in Parallel
3. Two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries wired in Series