battery hookup

np551

I have a motor home with the house batteries located in a storage compartment( two 12v deep cycle batterries). I removed then to clean the terminals and have the batteries charged. Now I'm not sure how to hook them back up. There are a pair of rfed and black cables coming to the compartment and a third and heavier cable. I know the red and black go to positive and negative which are in turn connected to red and negative (as in paralell), Where does the third heavier cable go to positive or negative ?? I didn;t pay attention when removing it.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
NP

Gary B

battery hookup

Hi NP551, if you have (2) 12VDC batts then both positives are coonected and both negatives are connected, if you connect the positive to a neg. then you'll end up with 24 VDC, or in the case of (2) 6VDC batts to provide 12 VDC, good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

np551

battery hookup

Thanks for your reply.They are a pair of deep cycle 12 volt batteries. I know they are to be hooked in paraallel- that is pos to pos and neg to neg. My problem is there are three cables coming to the battery compartment. two are red one is black. I'm just not sure how to hook the second red cable. Commonn sense tells me that red god to pos and that both red cables should go to the Pos terminal. But I neglected o t abserve the exact hookup when I took them out.

Thanks
Np551