Battery Maintenance

lookn-ahead

We bought a 2000 Itasca Horizon diesel pusher a little over a year ago and besides some minor warranty work, have been very pleased with it. We boondock a bit and lateley I have noticed that on battery power we did not have the available power we did when the coach was new. In fact we had to use the chassis batteries to boost the generator to start. I thought this was possibly due to the inactivity of the coach (it has been sitting about a month) but then I was reading some archived entries and saw something about battery maintenance needing to be done monthly. I am ashamed to say I had never even checked the level in these coach batteries until the light went on in my head and I thought it would be a good idea to look! Well the water was very low in every cell. I immediately added water and the solar cell started putting the power back where it was needed.
It has been extremely hot and dry here in the South and my inattention to this has shortened the life of the batterys I know.
So, having said all that to say this; Check the batterys in you rig regularly. You might save yourself about $100 per battery or worse get into a situation where you really need the power and it is not there.
Bill in Dixie