bedroom air

michael mangine

hi all, ihave a 31'class c chateua with a 4kw onan generator and i'm think about adding a air cond. inthe bed room was wondering if any bodys done it and how it worked out with the load on the generator thanks mike

hertig

Re: bedroom air

4KW should run the AC and most other loads, although you might have a problem using a high current load like the microwave when the AC wants to start. I've seen trailers with 'window' type air conditioners sticking out, but I don't know how well that would work on a unit which was moved much; I suspect it would be problematical. A roof top unit designed for a motorhome would probably be a better choice. Be aware of how much, if any, height it would add to your unit.

michael mangine

thanks but i think i explained it wrong i have a existing 15,000 btu air cond. ducted unit in the center of the rv and want to add a 13,500 10 amp in the bedroom and wanted to see if anybody's done this with out destroying there generator thanks mike

TexasClodhopper

Wow! That's a lot of A/C for a 31 footer. Maybe you just need a fan for the bedroom?

You would have to find a way to 'sequence' the two units so that they both weren't on at the same time.

rvtech1

The 4K Generator will handle 4000watts It actually loads up at about 4500, A 15K Btu Roof AC runs at 12amps on high cool at about 90+deg & 1500watts, That generator will handle both ACs with no problem. I would suggest a 13.5K btu roof AC 2x's is more than sufficient plus you can run the Microwave also. Cheers

hertig

Really? I thought when a generator was rated at 4KW, it meant that was the maximum, for a limited time only, with the 'steady state' value a few hundred watts LESS. And isn't the start up current of A/C rather more than the running current? So even if the generator would run both A/C at the same time, wouldn't you be at risk if they both tried to start at the same time?

I'm no 'tech', but every RV I've seen so far with 2 A/C units has been 50 amps and the generators have been at least 6KW. I certainly wouldn't risk it unless my uncle owned an AC repair shop :) (low voltage eats A/C compressors)

There is (or at least was) a device available which would 'stage' 2 A/C so you can run 2 off of 30 amps. If you install the second one, I'd suggest using such a gadget to make any 'over draw' condition 'impossible'.

rvtech1

Yes Thats why I told you a 135kbtu Ac would be sufficient.
Low amp draw on a compressor means low coolant, high amp draw is bad compressor.
The AC units have a start capacitor/ptcr time delay installed to protect the resistance from the compressor on restart for the run capacitor. Also currently they are using a 3min time delay thermostat as well
Yes your pushing it on amp draw if you want to use additional appliances.
Also a smaller ac unit like 7kbtu Dometic will be more than enough to cool a bedroom

michael mangine

RE: bedroom air

ok boys here we go, had my super electrician here today and my 15,000 unit runs at 12.3 amps start up about 18.there's a polar cub air cond. that rated at 8.3 amps 8500 btu that will cool the bed room remember i''m just looking for a little extra cold air in there on hot nights the other unit is ducted chances are they will never start up together. so 12.3 and 8.3 =20.6 on a 30amp generator is just overhalf load not to bad i confident it will work,my 11 yr old son races motocross so were usually in a dirt lot in the heat thanks all mike

31' 2002 thor chateau 31s :) :)

hertig

If we assume that the startup for the second one is similar to the first one (50% more), the startup for both at once would be about 30. So I still suggest a device to absolutely prevent them starting at the same time, since if the converter/charger was also going, that could be a problem.