Best Class C engine; Ford V-10 vs Chevy V-8 ??

dmsf

I have a 2003 class A 29' Damon w/ the 8.1 workhorse (no slides). My wife preferrs to drive a class C , so we are looking into a new/newer class C in the 28'-31' size & I'm towing a 05 GMC Envoy XL (4600 lbs). The engine options seem to be the Ford 6.8L V-10 (305 HP)or the Chevy 6.0L V-8 (300HP). I'd like anyone w/ info on how these compare.

Re: Best Class C engine; Ford V-10 vs Chevy V-8 ??

I'm enjoying my V10 Ford E-450 on a Winnie Class C. About 7mpg average. I see 8 occationally, but usually between 7 - 8. Plenty of power in overdrive, but tends to kick down into third too easily with cruise activated.

Overall plus marks.

C Nash

Either engine should serve you well. I would not let either engine be a deal breaker if I found a class C that I liked. GM might be best on MPG. I have the V 10 Ford in a class A and have had no problem. 8 t0 10 mpg with toad @ 55mph.

Kirk

I would agree with the other posts. Most owners feel that the one they have is the best one. So if you prefer a Ford, bet one, but if you happen to think Chevy is better, get that. If it doesn't matter, base it on what you get the best price on.

Too bad Ford did away with the 460. That V-10 doesn't have near the same power or torque. I used to get 14mpg with my '89' 26 foot Tioga but sold it in 98 because it had too much milage ( I had it in a rental fleet). I wish I still had it though.

hertig

I have the GMC 6.0L in a 2001 pickup, where it works great. But when I was towing about 6500 pounds, it struggled going up hills. When towing at 75, I got 8.2 MPG and at 55 I got 10.2 MPG. I hear that later model 6.0L engines perform better than mine.