Best Heat Tape

kmill99

Since our travel trailer will be used every weekend in the winter as well.... what is the best heat tape to use? I will install some on my water line to the trailer and I am guessing I should place a strip on the Black and Gray tanks? Is this enough for each? We will be skirting the trailer and placing several light bulbs underneath the trailer and I am assuming we should place them near the black and gray tanks as well or should we space them out the distance of the trailer equally? This is going to be our first attempt at using the trailer in the winter with Water and Plumbing and we want to make sure we cover as many issues as we possibly can. I'm considering using a compressor to blow out the water lines after each weekend visit in the winter to be extra safe. I can empty the GRAY easily after each visit.... but the black would be a different story as it is only 2 of us and the visits in the winter will only be for a weekend. Maybe it is best we only use the toilet for urine instead of solid waste in the winter?

Sorry for the lengthy message but I know this group has the best feedback and guidance.

Kevin & Suzie

Triple E

RE: Best Heat Tape

kmill99 - 5/15/2010 11:15 AM

Since our travel trailer will be used every weekend in the winter as well.... what is the best heat tape to use? Any heat tape from Lowe's or Home Depot will do just fine. I will install some on my water line to the trailerAfter you install the heat tape enclosed the tape and hose with the gray hose insulator, also atLowe's or Home Depot.and I am guessing I should place a strip on the Black and Gray tanks? Your tanks should already be heated. You well need to heat tape the drain line all the way to your sewer hook up. Only drain your tanks when 3/4 full and keep the drain valve closed at all times accept while draining. Is this enough for each? We will be skirting the trailer and placing several light bulbs underneath the trailer and I am assuming we should place them near the black and gray tanks as well or should we space them out the distance of the trailer equally?Won't hurt to keep them by your tanks. This is going to be our first attempt at using the trailer in the winter with Water and Plumbing and we want to make sure we cover as many issues as we possibly can. I'm considering using a compressor to blow out the water lines after each weekend visit in the winter to be extra safe. I can empty the GRAY easily after each visit.... but the black would be a different story as it is only 2 of us and the visits in the winter will only be for a weekend. Maybe it is best we only use the toilet for urine instead of solid waste in the winter? What ever makes you happy. Good luck and stay warm. Might be a good idea to rent a 50 gallon propane tank if possible. Are you planning to keep a low heat in your trailer while you are away?

:8ball:

Sorry for the lengthy message but I know this group has the best feedback and guidance.

Kevin & Suzie

kmill99

RE: Best Heat Tape

Thanks for the info Triple E and yes..... we will leave the trailer heat on low when away.