Best RV for a year on the road

Adamnof

So my FJ says that it's not to be towed four down. I am assuming that also means that I shouldn't put it on a dolly, and just get a light trailer to haul it? The trailer will make the tow weight closer to 6500 lbs, how bad would it be to tow that much behind a gas engine? With an extra trailer and having to hook on and load and unload an extra vehicle, will that be tough for one guy to do alone? Or am I now getting to the point where I should just trade in my vehicles and buy a truck and a 5th wheel trailer?

Those Foretravels look great but really starting to get out of my budget there...

H2H1

I know I can't tow my Tundra, that is why I bought a Saturn. If the FJ is front wheel drive ( I doubt it is) you could tow on a dolly. I have had both a TT and now a MH. I prefer the MH much easier to set up and mention by Len. Good luck on your hunt.

C Nash

Most gasser are rated to tow 5000K so you need to check your manual to see what youre is rated. The hitch should also have rated weight tow on it.

Adamnof

just wanted to thank everyone for their input into my search. after weighing all the options, i decided that for my first RV I would make a bit smaller investment and test the waters. once winter comes i may regret my decision if i end up in colder climes. I bought a 2002 Georgie Boy 34' Cruise Master off of a family friend so that i know it was well cared for. my vehicle owners manuals said they could not be towed so i got a trailer and am carrying around my mustang instead of the FJ to save on weight, since the RV is a gasser. Ive only been in her for a few days, but am lovin it so far!
thanks again

Adamnof

ok so i do have a few more questions, about the rules of the road for a rig like this... Do I have to follow the posted requirements for trucks? as in speed limits and lane restrictions? What sort of highway courtesies should i know about that car drivers may not know? What about seat belts and kids and car seats?

H2H1

I follow the same rules as if I was driving my car or truck. Other drivers will show you respect if you show them the same. As for as tractor trailers goes, just give them the right away. I have notice when they are passing they seem to draw you to them, so I move over to the right as for as I can and let them go. Good luck.

C Nash

On some right turns you may have to swing into the left lane so watch out for a car pulling up on your right even though you have your right blinker on.

akjimny

RV's go by the same rules of the road as passenger cars. As far as I know, no state requires RV's to pull into truck weigh stations or obey the restricted lane use rules you find around some cities. I try to keep up with the majority when driving on multi-lane highways and generally travel in the center lane if possible. If I can't keep up, such as going uphill or in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, I get in the right hand lane and let the speed demons blaze on by. The only time this gets tricky is when you end up in a "RIGHT LANE EXIT ONLY" lane and have to merge over into traffic.:):)

RanCarr

I haven't seen one person recommend a Class-C which would save him money and fit what he asked for. And he can tow a small car with it. A Class-C with one slide would be ideal for a single male who many have overnight company at times or a beer buddy or two over to watch some sporting event. A C-C is easier to maneuver and even a medium to larger size one will fit just about any campsite he comes across. I honestly feel he should look at and price BOTH before he decides.

rkhusker

what about MPG between gasser and diesel? i talked to a diesel rv owner and he told me not to believe the dealers that diesel rv get better mileage. what are your thoughts? what is good MPG?

H2H1

Well I have a gasser and I average about 7.5 to 8 mpg, and this is on how fast I am going. At 55-60 mph I get better mpg. Now having said that, a diesel does get better even at faster mph. Diesel are built to run, not to sit still, but the cost is more when it time for maintainace.

C Nash

All depends on the size of the diesel MH and the engine. Driving habits also determin MPG. Same size diesel MH as a gasser will get better MPG but I would not buy a diesel just based on MPG.