Best RV for Winter living

DL Rupper

Re: Best RV for Winter living

The manufactures that I have named that closed their doors are some of the big top of the line names in the 5th Wheel industry. I think it has to do with the economy being in the tank and the top of the line RV's being very expensive.

I previously mentioned that lately I have heard a few negative stories in the campgrounds about Keystone products. Keystone manufacturers Montana/Cougar. It may be just sloppy quality control practices or new young workers. Actually I don't think any of the manufacturers including NUWA--HitchHiker are up to the standards of a few years ago. I would still consider a Keystone product, but would really inspect the RV before taking ownership.

C Nash

Well it was in 2006 when toto was asking so hope he found something. All were probably still in business then. Wish posters would come back and let us know what they did and how it turned out :)

labbie1

Does anyone have an opinion on NUMAR Kountry Aire? We are planning to go full-time and may be in the north in winter (New York, etc.) or south in summer depending on contracts. Thanks!

RE: Best RV for Winter living

Overwhelming ~ that's for sure!! The answer to one question opens up half dozen more questions. I'm in the same boat...or should I say RV :).

May I suggest... Grab yourself a notebook and pencil. Make yourself a file and categorize your personal notes along with brochures. Make a list of: "what I want", "what I need", "what I must have". Go to different dealerships and look at RV's. One day pick only Class C's, the next only Class A's, the next only 5th wheels, and the next only travel trailers. Oh, and you may want to include a visit to the car dealership to look at towing vehicles. With each category pick 1 or 2 models that you REALLY REALLY like and put those brochures in your file.

Once you know what you REALLY REALLY like you'll know which manufacturer(s) you need to research are. Here's where you get technical about the mechanics, insulation, reputation, reliability, this or that do-hicky, etc. Start talking to people ~ customers you see at the dealerships, RV forums (like this and RV Doctor), mechanics that are NOT at the dealership (catch my drift...if the company isn't that great they don't want to bad mouth their boss because they'd be out of a job) but who are reputable mechanics (maybe ask your local DMV or BBB for suggestions).

Now imagine yourself living in each of the RV's you like. What do you feel the "pros" and "cons" are to each one? Add that list to your file. You should start to see a pattern developing and narrowing down the field to what you really want and what works for you.

Maybe pick up a National Campground book and start checking out different parks, recreation areas that welcome RV's, KOA, Good Sam's Club, etc. Does the RV you like fit with the campground sites? Some places limit the length of the RV to say 30' and yours is 36'.

Full-time RVing can be a great thing. Just take time to do your research and remember to breathe :).

Cam1991

Best rv

I work In fort Mcmurray year round, and stay in an rv all year. My citation hasn't had any issues, even when it was -45 last winter ( no skirting, space heaters, extra insulation etc. ) so in my opinion and people I work with, you can't go wrong with a citation. Other good trailers include desert/arctic fox, security and the 2012 jaycos

Sixpaws

Why is this thread OLD?

I want to talk about weather and to encourage Julie!

I am extremely interested in this thread. I have lived in a Forest River Cardinal full time for the past 5 years. Winter busted all three of my tanks here in Colorado because I was in the hospital with emergency surgery. With the tanks busting and the wear and tear of 5 years on the road, it was time to sell her and look for another. I sold her and now I'm looking for winter compatible rigs.

I love winter and cold weather, Alaska is next on my list. So I'm thrilled this question was asked. I want to learn. I love my apartment (a year now, for my recovery period) but am not meant to stay put. Let's talk cold weather! Sixpaws wants to hit the road north! So does her cat. He loves traveling. I traveled with 4 cats in a 33-ft, but now only the old man is left. He purrs and loves his new places to look out the window.

Living full time, Julie, will be the best experience of your life. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about it. I am a single woman and had to learn to do it all on my own and never looked back! You can do it and you can do it well. A fifth wheel, imo, is the best way to live full time, since it's more like a house. (your steering wheel isn't in your living room).

I rarely want to speak badly, but Forest River sucks.

Sixpaws

Julie,

I just got here and noticed your post is from 2006. I hope you have made a great decision and traveled full time. If not, do it now! I am a single woman who has done this for 5 years. Ready for more years. I'm a girlie girl who didn't know a wrench from a rock until I bought my fiver. It was awesome.

Sixpaws

My Forest River Cardinal fifth wheel was guaranteed to be weather proof down to 0 degrees but they lied. I spoke with several places afterwards and they said "yes, tested to 0 degrees for maybe 1 minute." Wording is something I'm scared of now.

Kay creed

I am looking at a Monaco Dynasty challenger 2002... I will be spending time in both very hot and very cold climates. Does anyone know rather this would be a good choice for my first RV ....as far as the insulation for heating and cooling comfort is concerned? I've also interested in a Forest River RV with bunk beds. I'm sure open to advice! Thank you so much!

LEN

For me the Monaco Dynasty would be the better choice, if it has agua hot for cold weather this would be very good. It is an above average MH of any brand and has all the goodies for hot and cold weather. Read a bit and there are several things one can do to any coach to help, If I were in the market I would only consider a coach with Agua hot or Hydo hot system, this is a hot water boiler fired with diesel and will keep the whole coach warm and at moderate temps has an Elec. side and only comes on upper end coachs that have good insulation.

LEN

Drummer

I, too, am considering a full time venture (joined this forum today!). Had planned to purchase a TT. Have attended numerous shows, looked on line for reviews (nothing but specs are found - at least my experience), visited 4 dealers and remain at a loss. It seems all TT are bad, and I should take up hiking. The opinion of a manufacture, albeit in good spirit, is suspect. At any rate, I hope that I will soon read unbiased opinion. Note: I am considering a towable unit, and hiking boots:).

Drummer

Jamesneo

Toto53;382 said:
I'm trying to find out which 5th wheel or travel trailer would be the best to purchase for All year round living in, even in the winter. I know I will have to add heaters to the holding tanks etc, but which brand would anyone recommend. I would appreciate help with this.
Thanks Kindly,
Toto53 :)

It's best known that many class A motorhomes have all tanks in heated spaces and trailers and motorhomes have an "arctic" package for winter use as well.Most of us live in our RVs all year and we always go somewhere in the south for winter.So which RV you should choose according to where you go.

C Nash

Drummer;85175 said:
I, too, am considering a full time venture (joined this forum today!). Had planned to purchase a TT. Have attended numerous shows, looked on line for reviews (nothing but specs are found - at least my experience), visited 4 dealers and remain at a loss. It seems all TT are bad, and I should take up hiking. The opinion of a manufacture, albeit in good spirit, is suspect. At any rate, I hope that I will soon read unbiased opinion. Note: I am considering a towable unit, and hiking boots:).

Drummer

Might check out this site. http://www.northwoodmfg.com/

Kay creed

Shaky decisions

julieibach;23936 said:
Boy, after reading some of these posts I'm becoming a bit paranoid about wanting to live full-time in an RV, it's pretty overwhelming.

Julie.....I know what you mean for sure!! I want to too. I want a diesel pusher and tow my car but the more I learn about all that is involved scares me. And with the way this country is headed, it's even more frightening. All put together, maybe I should just consider Belize instead!!!

Kay

JustinJohnson

As we know that the cost of any RV varies along with the different models. For winter living fifth wheel trailer is best option. They have a feature option for heating the water tanks and water lines which helps at times of winter. If you are not sure about exactly what you want to spend your time in or if you are a first timer visit a variety of dealerships that specialize in different model lines.