Best SUV thats Towable

MontyR

I am in the market for a SUV under 3800 lbs, that can be towed on all 4 with a Automatic Transmission. any advice would be appreciated.

hertig

Re: Best SUV thats Towable

I understand that 4x4s with a neutral transfer case often tow well. But golly, 3800 pounds?

Kirk

There are two small, auto transmission SUV's that can be towed with no alteration. They are the Honda CR-V and the Saturn VUE. Both have excellent reputations and they weigh about 3000# each. In addition, most 4WD vehicles can be towed if they have a neutral position on the transfer case. That means vehicles like the Ford Explorer and the Jeep Cherokee, Commander and Liberty. The Hummer can also be towed, but it ain't small.

We have now driven our CR-V for 105,000 miles and it has been towed for amother 40K or so.

benwd

kirkquote---"...most 4WD vehicles can be towed if they have a neutral position on the transfer case."

Not true-----Because a transfer case has a neutral position is no indication that it can be towed without modification. It depends on the design of the case just like any gearbox design. The problem is oiling of the ouput bearings. Most standard transmissions and transfers cases cannot be towed without modifications. Don't bother asking the dealer because they don't know. The owneres manual might give you some info. Call www.remcotowing .com and they will be able to tell you what the towability of each vehicle is.

C Nash

We tow a 2002 chevy 4x4 4door automatic Tracker 4 down and no modifications. You are supposed to crank it ever 200 miles and run for a couple minutes. Weights less than 3000# and also gets good MPG. I think 2004 was the last year for the Chevrolet Tracker. Great toad IMO

MontyR

I want to thank all the people that replied to my question, Your input has helped me greatly and I wish you all well and safe driving. MontyR