Between a rock and a hard place.

OddFinger

Hello to all. First of all let me say I love camping. I have camp in a tent for years. My dream was to own a popup camper. Last year my dream came true. I bought a 2001 Bayside elite. The first two times that i took it on the road. I got the scare of my life. The camper hitch came off the ball.Now that that it's getting to be that time of year again I'am afraid to try it again. I do not want to sell it but that is what I might end up doing. Help!

Gary B

Hi OddFinger, either you have the wrong size ball, or the coupler is not properly adjusted, and not locking on the ball. If your not very mechanical then the best bet is to go to a rv service or a hitch shop and have them check that you have the correct ball for your coupler, and have them check that the coupler is correctly adjusted. Good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

C Nash

Hi OddFinger, agree with gary. Be sure when you set the receiver down on the hitch you are not pushing the lock lip up. Be sure the lock lever is all the way back down and then pin it. If you have a jack on the tongue raise it back up to be sure the hitch is on secure. You should be able to raise the back of the tow vehicle some if it is secured. What size is the ball? The correct ball size should be stamped on the hitch on the pop up either a 1 7/8" or 2". There is no way it should be coming un hitched if the correct ball is used and properly locked. Any mechanic should be able to help. Maybe a neighbor Good luck

;) Harold make sure when the trailer coupler is set on the ball that you can push the leaver that's on top of the coupler down flat,and then put some kind of safety device to keep the lever from bouncing up and disengageing the coupler from the ball, like a lock,a trailer pin etc. hope that helps. Ed

OddFinger

Thanks Guys! let me see if I understand this right. The lever that you put the lock pin through should stay down until you put the coupler down over the ball. Then flip the lever up and put the pin through. :)

Gary B

Hi OddFinger, I'm thinging you got that just backward, the lever is up to unlock and that the way it is when you put the coupler onto the ball, then the lever is pushed down to lock and a saftey pin is put though the holes, also when the coupler is down on the ball and the lever lock is properly engage you will be able to use the tougne jack and vertually jack up the rear of your tow vehicle with out coming uncoupled. Hope this helps. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

ARCHER

ODDFINGER,
Gary is correct. Up latch, put on ball, after ball is seated in coupler, latch down and then you put pin through hole. To make sure, pull up on tongue of popup (should be able to do that for a popup). If it comes loose, you got the wrong size ball for the coupler.
Don't go without validating it is secure.... :(

OddFinger

Hi, Thanks again guys. I will tried that the next time I go camping.I do need all the help that I can get on this subject. I do not want to go back to a tent. :) :) :)

cowbooy

HI, Did you buy from a dealer? If so go back to them and make them show you proper procedure and equip for towing.....signed...RV Owner and RV sales for past 10 years.......don't let this kill your dreams..it is wonderful....also remember stuff happens even to those that have done it for years.... :)