Big mistakes

mollysmom

As a prospective rv'er, I've certainly learned alot reading this forum. Not that I'm a total novice to life on the road...my husband has run a trucking company for many years and we were on the road together for 3 years. So I know we can live together in tight spaces, share driving responsibilites, deal with break-downs on the road, cook in small spaces (although we did come to divorce potential one day over dinner...he wound up throwing the toaster oven out the door. End of arguement!)

Now that we've lived and worked on the road, we want to go out and LIVE the sites we've seen. All those picturesque towns in Canada, or Wisconsin in the summer, Florida and Texas in the winter, and best of all, the totally unknown...Alaska! I get happy just thinking about it.

What I'm looking for from you experienced guys is advice on "If I'd just done this thing differently" Or, "Gee if I'd only known that."

We haven't bought our mh yet so anything you have to say is welcome whether it's a simple "Buy a shampoo dispenser" to "This engine is better than that one." (Actually shampoo dispenser type ideas are important to me, engines, brakes and mechanicals are important to my husband, so if you could give us male and female perspectives that would be great!)

team3360

Big mistakes

First you need to decide what type RV you are interested in. (MH ,TT,5th wheel) I wont talk about pop ups or expandables because you say travel and see the world ,(all seasons). I have a 5er now pulled by a 2500HD chevy /duramax/allison.Its a crew cab for the extra seating (we have our granddaughter full time ) It has all the bells and power I need ,very comfortable ride , and doubles as my personal vehicle. I chose the 5er and tow vehicle because when you breakdown its "NOT AT HOME",,not much that can go wrong with a pull behind that you couldn't still stay in it. My tow vehicle on the other hand can be taken to the dealer and most often a rental gotten while it is being repaired. A MH on the other hand , when it has go in you not only need a car(unless you pull yours behind) you need a hotel/motel room for multiple nights. I have had/have my problems with my truck but all said, I still prefer to tow. I like the ride my truck has 02 crew cab LT package W/ leather,heated, seats I do have a short bed and my 5er has an extended pin box but I don't have a sliding 5th wheel . I also drive a truck for a living (local highway construction)so you can blame and cuss me for the construction season ,(you know thats the other season dont you , theres winter and "!!!!CONSTRUCTION!!!!" season)I would imagine that my wife and I will move up to a class A later but only because of the ease of set up, as we ease on into our ageing years , well this is a start others have their opinion so keep checking there is an unlimited supply of knowledge here good luck and enjoy your travel (even the !!!!CONSTRUCTION !!!!)team3360

onthecoach

Big mistakes

HI-

If you are going to full-time, make sure you have enough storage space -- both in and under the coach. For example...the booth dinette, instead of table and chairs, gives you a drawer under each seat. Also, having a futon instead of a sleep sofa is a big plus!!
1. it's more comfortable to sleep on
2. it's easier to open and close
3. it has a great big long storage drawer underneath.

The thing we miss most in our new coach is closet space in the bed room. Also...there is no place to hang or keep our coats...no hooks anywhere and no place to hang some.

Other than that...and maybe a dishwasher....I love it!!!

Kirk

Big mistakes

Dual pane windows are a must! The help for both air conditioning and for heating. They prevent the big problems of condensation on the windows. Most women prefer to have a washer/dryer. Consider a built-in vacume system. Not everyone likes them but look them over just to know. Consider where you will store and do your hobbies. Give thought to how you will live on the days when weather stinks. And also on the day when one of you is ill and the other wishes to keep busy.

mollysmom

Big mistakes

Thanks guys. This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. After team3360's advice, we are now looking further into the 5th wheel option which we hadn't really considered before. Also, I was researching on the net today and one site let you design your own home. One of the options was dual pane windows which I didn't then know if we would need or not. It also had two options refering to pins. Neither one of us had a clue, still don't really, but at least now we know it has something to do with the tow hookup. Still lots of research to do yet!

As for space, where DO you hang towels to dry?

team3360

Big mistakes

thermal pane windows are a must if full timing, cuts down on drafts. the two pins your confused about are a regular pin which requires a long bed pick-up to pull for clearance between the front corner of a 5er and the back of the truck cab when turning in tight areas. the other is a extended pin ( approx. 13") extends forward and allows a short bed pick-up to pull it. depending on the truck(GM,FORD,DODGE) you may need a sliding fifth wheel also in a short bed for clearance on slow tight turns(backing up mostly) such as parking in campgrounds. I have a chevy and dont need the slider with my current 5er but might if we trade 5ers. most clothes can be hung outside on a line .most rv parks also have laundry machines for use. or they also have washer/dryer that can be put in your RV they can be stacked or they even have a combo all in one unit. you will also want a coach that has a enclosed underbelly,that way all plumbing and holding tanks are insulated and heated for winter travel/use. pick up the magazine TRAILER LIFE for lots of extra ideas and web sites .thrers a company called TRAVEL UNITS in ELKHART , IN THAT WILL CUSTOM BUILD YOUR FLOOR PLAN IF YOU DESIRE. THEY HAVE A WEB SITE BUT i CANT REMEMBER IT. DO A GOOGLE SEARCHFOR TRAVEL UNITS IN ELK. IN and it should come up . hope this helps some more TEAM3360

hertig

Big mistakes

For hanging things to dry when weather or regulations prevent hangin them up outside, they have several types of gadgets to allow hanging wet stuff in the shower stall.