Big Screen Plasma or LCD TV Better for Traveling?

Beachcomer

It will be a few months, but when I start RVing I want a big screen TV at least 40" or larger and was wondering whether plasma or LCD is better for traveling?

Appreciate hearing from anyone RVing with a large screen plasma or LCD and any problems that they have had with it. Also interested in how long they have had it, and how they have it mounted/hung.

Thanks,

Dan

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Big Screen Plasma or LCD TV Better for Traveling?

I wouldn't get a plasma television even if I wasn't traveling. The plasma televisions will leave a shadow on the screen if a picture remains there too long. My youngest son did extensive research on both the plasma televisions and the LCD televisions before he purchased the LCD. He also told his older brother about the LCD television being far superior to the plasma. But, the older son didn't really listen and bought the plasma because it was cheaper. Now he is complaining about the quality of the picture and the images that are remaining on the screen. The LCD television has a great picture and no lingering images after you've watched a program. When I change TV's I'll be getting the LCD.

mike9121

Re: Big Screen Plasma or LCD TV Better for Traveling?

Not 40" but I do have a 24" HD LCD Wide Screen in my slide in camper with HD Direct TV. It is great. Mounted with a 180 degree wall mount I got from Circuit City for 89.00. Had it now for about 4 months using it just about every other weekend and has been working great. I agree with Snowbird. Plasma has a hugh problem with burn in and LCD technology has come a long way recently and you can choose one with a resolution that can compare with plasma ( as far as the human eye can tell ).

hertig

Also, the plasma has 'position sensitivity', where rotating it away from its designed axises can cause damage. Not sure what the bouncing in an RV would do to it..

Browzin

Plasma doesn't like vibration or excesive cold, they are intended to be placed stationary in a home where they are keep at room temp with adequate air ventilation.

rddog8691

I replaced a 9 inch television in my 1990 coachmen MH with a 19 inch LCD it worked great and was light weight, although I was told by a dealer not to leave it in over the winter that due to it being liquid crystal it would freeze and could crack. I just used to take it out for the winter and store it in my home. Picyure was great with Direct TV