Bigger Tire's

Jerry S.

Hi folks this is my first post here, I've done a search on this but did'nt find a answer.
I have a 02 chevy 2500 hd with the allison trans. i have read not to go to bigger tires,
but i can't find anyone that has actually done it and had problems with the allison.
has anyone here tried it ? by the way this seems like a great forum. thanks for any help you can give me.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Bigger Tire's

I own two 2006 GMC's, a 2500 and a 3500. I was told by the dealer that the only difference between the two is that the 3500 has one extra rear spring and one size larger tires. I can't remember the sizes, both are 16", I think the smaller ones are 225's and the others are 235's.

I know that GM says don't change them, but they do it themselves and I dont see what the big deal would be. I also know people who have installed the larger ones on replacement.

Now, to be honest, I have been thinking of putting the SMALLER ones on my 3500 when time is due for tires. I can feel stronger take off because of the tire diameter and the 2500 gets better mileage. Don't quite understand that last statement, but it is true.

Jerry S.

Thank's for the reply, the factory tires are 245-16 that look like pizza cutters on this truck, i want to go to 285-16 do you see any problems with this? thanks again for the reply.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, It will throw off the speedometerr and odometer unless you have them reprogramed. It will also lower your towing capacity, because of diameter. I would need to look at my tires and get the real numbers. I have one truck outside. I can look tomorrow.

H2H1

hey Jerry I had a 2003 2500HD and I went up one size and had no problems. I did this to tow my TT when I had one and actually got better gas mileage . I, like Ken can't explain it. In the winter I went back to the factory size. I see no problem with changing your tire size.

DL Rupper

Dodge Heavy Duty RAM 2500 pickups come standard with 265x70x17 inch tires. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: No need to go with bigger tires. ;) I know none of you GM types wanted that bit of info. :evil:

Hey Jerry S, welcome to the forum. I couldn't resist pulling y'alls chains a little. :eek:

Grandview Trailer Sa

I saw this tonight, and remembered......
The tires on my 3500 are 265-75-16. So DL, mine are larger than yours. :laugh: The wheel size does not have anything to do with outside diameter. All newer trucks are using larger wheels for brake clearance.

Hey Hollis, unless you had your speedometer reprogrammed, your gas mileage won't be accurate.

DL Rupper

Hey Kenneth, my mind just can't keep up with my fingers on the key board. I realized soon thereafter it's the sidewall size (70 vs the 75) that determined overall outside diameter. ;) One thing I know for sure the 265x70x17 inch tires are heavier than my old Dodge 245x75x16 inch tires. Either that or I'm just getting weaker. I needed the Good Sam ERS to change my tire last time I had a flat. :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

They probably are heaver. The side wall is not quite as tall due to the wheel diameter. Maybe they make it thicker, because it has to carry the weight.

elkhartjim

Talking about the sizes of all this....who's tires are biggest....did I tell you about how big my dog is?

H2H1

Hey Ken you are correct :( . But I really didn't pay any attention back when gas was cheap. I knew when it got close to being out I just filled it up. :laugh: :laugh: The size I went to was 265-75-16 which raised the truck up about 1 inch.