Bio Diesel

DARLING

WE are plannig a trip out west(when it warms up) & honey was thinking about trying bio diesel bcause of the lower price & trying to be green.
Anyone have any info on bio diesel fuel?
Darlin in warm Fla
:cool:

utmtman

Re: Bio Diesel

Also its not going to be easy to find unless your planning on bringing your own processing plant and trying to pick up the oil along the way.

hertig

Keep in mind that there are several bio-diesels. 'Greasel' uses stuff like used cooking oil directly, but requires modifications to the vehicle. Bio-diesel is processed from non-petroleum products and can be cheap if you do it yourself. However, much of the 'bio-diesel' available from 'traditional' gas stations is a mixture with petro-diesel. It is classified as Bxx, where the xx is the percentage of bio-diesel. B10 and B20 are fairly common; B100 is available but rare; generally only available from a specialty provider.

Bio-diesel, usually B20 +/- is available here and there (I saw it at some gas stations along the interstates, and some towns/cities have specialty providers), but the last time I checked, the difference in price from Petro-Diesel was not very much. And if you use higher than B20 or so, it may void your engine warrantee. Also, bio-diesel has a reputation of being an agressive cleanser, so you may need to change all your filters after switching. Thus switching back and forth may not be practical; a problem in travelling to areas where your supply is unknown.

G

John ,, i'm impressed ,, not only due u know weights but u know bio deisel stuff to ,, ur the man :cool: ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

oldhippie

I use to work as a over the road driver for the federal government.We had a chance to run with bio-diesel in our engines and it did'nt cost the goverment to try it.It was a one year deal to promote the stuff.We had to replace all
rubber hoseing that was in contac with this fuel.Its a good cleaning fuel now,but back then every 5 to 10thousand miles
we had to take our diesels in to have the injecters clean out.(they got gummy from the bio-diesel)In my opinion I
would use it now,say B-10 or B-20 along its a pre-mix stuff.. :cool:

DARLING

The price of diesel just went up here again to 3.91 to 3.99 depending on the station. I was watching prices for groceries & they are also creaping up couple pennies here, couple there, & i was told because of the fuel surcharge.
WE have freinds who were over the the road owner ops & they got out last year because of the fuel prices & insurance

There was some gov't spokeperson who said that if every body would just drive .5 mile les per day, we would have plent of fuel & the price will come down. HAHAHA
MIght just have to stay in Fla this summer if the prices keep going up.
Darlin :cool:

DL Rupper

Is the price of diesel stopping anyone from RVing? Do you think the dealers are having a slow down in sales. Might be a good time to BUY a RV.

utmtman

A local yokel company here with many diesel trucks they use for construction, tried biodiesel, told me yesterday is caused a couple of the truck to break down on the road and others not to start on cold mornings. He has stopped using it. Also diesel in Colorado they said is 4.05 a gal. Here in Utah its from 3.89 to 3.99.