Black Tank Drain Valve

ARCHER

Hello to all you wonderful RVr's.
Getting ready to replace my valve for draining the black tank. Grey tank valve is just fine, but black tank valve is really hard to pull and push back.
Is there anything special about replacing one of these? Tank is empty so I thought all I need to do is loosen the connections/4 bolts and connection to the 3 inch pipe and remove the old one and put in the new one.
Don't want any leaks so suggestions are welcome, please.
:) :laugh: :cool: :dead: :dead:

Colbert_Kid

Black Tank Drain Valve

Hi Archer
i just replaced my black tank valve a few weeks ago because it was leaking. it's pretty much how you describe it, but with a twist. if yours is like mine the seals that fit on either side will attempt to slide out constantly making it a pain to get sealed up correctly. it wasn't too bad and i got it on the second try, but if you can find something that is water soluble to stick them into place it will make your life much easier.
that said, before you go through the trouble of replacing the valve because of a hard to pull/push handle, have you tried squirting some WD40 on it? that's what i did to my inlaws camper and it made world of difference in how easy it was to work.

just some thoughts, hope they help...............Jim

ARCHER

Black Tank Drain Valve

Thanks Jim,
Welcome to the forum.
Actually, the previous owner had messed with the valve some and it really does need to be replaced. I might try some vasoline to hold the seal steady. Tks again for the tips..... ;)

janicenlarry

Black Tank Drain Valve

One fix I have seen is to drill the valve body and screw in a grease fitting and pump some lubricant into the valve body chamber.

Gary B

Black Tank Drain Valve

Hi Archer, Jim's post is right on, and I have used your idea of vasoline and it works, and as Larry has posted I've heard of folks doing that and I guess it works good I've never gotten around to doing it, any of mine, but have squirted Wd-40 or silicone lube on them and its helped.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve: