BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

ARCHER

Getting ready to replace my black tank release valve and need any suggestions/hints on doing so. Current one is getting really hard to pull and push and I think it is not closing 100%. I've been carrying an extra one with me so might as well go ahead and put it in. I've heard it can be difficult but easy if I take my time and not force anything. Do I need to tank take "everything" loose or just the four nuts/bolts and then wiggle it loose to remove old one and then slide the new one in, making sure the rubber gasgets are aligned and then tighten the new nuts/bolts? Will putting some vasoline on the new gasgets help keep them aligned? Just wanted to make sure I don't make it a full weekend project or have to make the wife squat in the sand for a few days...ha ha :) :laugh: :cool:

dennis1949

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

When I replaced mine all I did was take the four nuts and bolts out. Slide the old one out, Slide the mew one in and replaced the nuts and bolts good luck

turnipbwc

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

Archer,
I have the same problem with my black tank. I have to use both hands to get it open. I am going to have to take mine to the shop to get it done. I am not able to do it myself.
Both of my gray and black handles were cracked. I replaced the plastic handles with metal ones. I guess the owner before me had problems to.
turnip

srobbins

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

Archer,
Replacing the valve is really easy to do. Once you're sure the tank is empty and flushed through, it takes less than 10 minutes to replace the valve. Most likely you have dried toilet paper or other solid residue clogging the side slides and end seat on your current valve, so you could probably remove and clean the old one and make it work better. But since you already have a new one, you might was well use that.

Here's how I did it:
1. Drain the black water tank. Fill it with clean water, and drain again, leaving the valve open for 15 minutes after you no longer heard any flow, just to be sure that it is empty. Make ****ed sure that no one inadvertantly uses the head while you are replacing the valve!
2. Remove the four bolts.
3. You'll need to slightly pry apart the piping pieces on either side of the valve so that you can remove it. Since these are just plastic (PVC?) pipe, they do flex without having to use much force.
4. Slide the new valve into place. The hardest part here is opening up the two pipes enough that you don't kink the O-ring-like gasket on the new valve, which as I recall sticks out a little bit beyond the thickness of the valve. Putting Vaseline on might help the valve to operate smoothly for a short while, but I'm sure that it will all wash away eventually.
5. Reinsert the four bolts. Slide the handle in and out to ensure that you have proper operating clearance in this orientation (since the handle shapes might be a little different). If you can fully open and close the valve, attach and tighten the nuts on the bolts.
6. Wash your hands really well.
7. Put several gallons of fresh water in the black tank and check for leakage around the new valve.
8. Pop open a nice cold beer, thinking of all the time and money you saved doing this yourself!

polock

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

Drill a small hole in end of valve where handle goes in get a can of silicone put one of those small tubes on and spray the heck out of it ,might loosen it up worked on mine put a small screw in hole to seal it,

ARCHER

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

Thanks all. Since I already have the new valve, I'm gonna go ahead and put it in. Sounds like an easy job.
I'm also installing a new t-valve on the LP tank so I can connect an aux LP tank. The LP delivery company is not very dependable where I am and they won't come out just for an RV (only Mobile Homes).
THANKS AGAIN.
:cool: :laugh: :)

Kirk

BLACK TANK RELEASE VALVE

Like Polock, I would suggest the silicone spray on the slider of the valves. Just spraying the shaft with the valve open helps a great deal. If you can see up to the valve location, you don't need to drill the hole. Just leave the valve open long enough to dry, then with it partially closed, spray the blade well and operate it several times. I would suggest that you do this from time to time as it will keep the valves working well after much use.