Black water tank advice

chag67

I am just weeks away from moving into my Camper permanently and I was just wondering what solutions, home remedies, etc. some of you veterans have for black water tank maintenance, cleaning, odor prevention, etc. I have done quite a bit of on line research and printed out some bits of advice on cleaning, water softeners, and odor. I was hoping for some more advice from the tried and true. I have always believed that you can't have too much information. Thanks.

Any other advice you guys have about anything else camping would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

C Nash

Water, water and more water. Do not leave the dump valves open. Drain sewage first then gray tank.

chag67

What about toilet paper? I have heard several different theories. The latest was take a mason jar filled with water. Put in several sheets of the toilet paper you want to use. Shake for a few seconds. If the paper looks like it is breaking up, then it is alright to use for the black water tank and you "should" not have any clogs later.

akjimny

I don't care if I stock one-ply, two-ply, steel wool or kevlar - the way the Boss Lady uses toilet paper I still get, not clogs exactly, but false readings on the tank sensor. She never has clogged up the motorhome tank (yet). So every other trip or so I drag out the long hose and the whirly stick and rinse out the black tank really good. I figure that's just one of the "joys" of camping.:):)

C Nash

The mason jar is a good way to see how quick the paper breaks down. Most cheap toilet paper will work. Generall it will be one ply so "be careful" LOL

Shem

:distracted:Hello
I use the GEO method and have not had any odor or any other problems.
Shem

H2H1

hello Jimmy, I have a back flush valve on mine, it is locater in the compartment where all the hook ups are at. I back flush it every-other -time I dump. Some time I am in a hurry to leave so I wait till I am at the next camp ground. then I flush it then empty it about 2-3 times. Then I hook up the water hose to the fresh water connection and power.