Bought my first trailor

kirkl

Bought a 1978 19ft prowler. Bought it from my cousin and its in great shape. Gonna take it out for a first camp trip in a few weekends. Its got the heater I really wanted, a radiant heater, no fan running with it. Has a bunkbed to which I wanted for the kids. So im set for a few years. Pulled it home with my 03 cummins and it pulled great.

Gary B

Bought my first trailor

Hi Krikl congrats on the camper, have fun camping ;) sounds like your on the way to some good times.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

rlmurraysr59

Bought my first trailor

Make sure all your tanks hold water. I would make sure to rinse out the fresh water tank. Use some chlorine bleach to disenfect it or put some vinegar in it and then flush it real good with water. Make sure your water lines don't have any leaks in them if the trailer has been stored for a while.

I would also make sure the drain hoses are in good condition. Check the roof to see if any of the caulking has cracked and if it has get some rv caulking from a dealer. Don't use household caulking. The rv caulking stays pliable and finds its own level.

Check it over before you get on the road. The trailer may look to be in mint condition, and I hope it is, but the little thing can be a real pain once you get where your going. You want to spend your time relaxing, not trying to figure out how to get the water heater to fire up or how to stop a water leak.

Good luck and have a great time.

kirkl

Bought my first trailor

Rmurray, its all been checked over, I bought it from my cousin who is a neat freak and always makes sure everything is working great. He went over everything with me and everything works. I am going to recaulk around all the windows and redo the roof seams with something. What is a good caulk or something for the roof seams and around the vents and stuff.

JN

Bought my first trailor

Whats a good trailer besides Prowler that you would suggest

rlmurraysr59

Bought my first trailor

Kirkl: Go to an rv dealer and get a couple tubes of Devcon caulking. It is a real sticky caulking and when you draw the bead out it will find its own level. Great for caulking around roof seams. I would asked the dealer about what to use around the windows. You can use Devcon across the top but I don't recall how it sticks down the sides. Maybe do a little at the top and let it run down the sides. I don't know.

JN: I think you will find that all trailers in the Prowler class are about the same. I had a Starcraft 24ft and my neighbor had a Prowler 23ft. The layout was different inside and the color was different, but the basic construction was very similar. The appliances were the same. So if you check around and have the same luck that Kirkl did I am sure you will be on your way to some good times camping. Just don't skimp on the safety items. Proper hook up with right hitch, tires inflated properly, brake control unit working properly, etc. Nothing spoils a vacation more than a travel trailer that is turned over on the highway because things weren't prepared.

Good Luck.