BRAKE DUST

ARCHER

Since no-one answered my previous note on my brakes, thought I'd ask a different type brake question.
Can brake dust in the rear drums cause the brakes to squeal?

C Nash

BRAKE DUST

Hi Archer,
Yes, the dust can create a squeal but, generally a squeal is caused by viberations. Probably a good idea to change all the hardware, springs and such. Turn the drums while you are doing the brake service. Wash the dust out. Do not blow with compressed air. What was your other brake problem?

retlveit

BRAKE DUST

Hi Chelse! I'm curious, why not blow the brake lining dust? Probably because of the absestos but what if you are wearing a dust mask and leave the area right after for a few minutes? I can remember blowing the dust in high school auto shop about 40 years ago. (cough, cough, hack, wheeze!)

ARCHER

BRAKE DUST

Chelsa,
The original problem was the squeal (In the front, I think). I jacked it up, checked the pads and the movement of the caliper and all seemed ok. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and sprayed a rust inhibitor like WD-40. I have not driven it, but will do so this week. I have been told that it was probably the rust on the rotors that caused the noise, but I am trying to be safe. I'll know if the cleaning and spray did anything when I drive it. If it still makes the noise, I'l probably take it to a GM shop for checking it out. I'm not the most mechanical inclined person (especially when it comes to brakes/safety). Another friend told me sometimes the noise can actually be coming from the rear brakes even though it sounds like the front (that is the reason for my second post--the one you responeded too).
Any ideas? :dead:
Tks for answering the note :)
Archer

Kirk

BRAKE DUST

There has been no asbestos allowed in brake pads for a very long time. A dust mask is probably a good idea, but not for that reason. In fact, the problem of squeeking brakes has become far more common with the products that are used in brake pads since asbestos was banned.

C Nash

BRAKE DUST

Archer & Tom,
Even though there is or not supposed to be any asbestos in the linings anymore, who knows what they have in them now. Tom I will not blow even with a mask because the dust then settles everywhere skin, hair,clothes. I blew it for 10 prior to 1966 when we were told asbestos was dangerous to your health and it was probably 10 years after 66 before we found out here in Alabama. Oh well, at least I get a check for it now but, not worth the coughing. Industry requires special washing or vacuuming equipment to service brakes.
Archer, be sure to resurface your front rotors and don't exceed the min. rotor thickness. Have them miked. Min. thickness is stamped on rotor. Most major parts store can mill them. Install new anti rattles and there is a spray that can be put on the metal backing. Do not spray any kind of lubercant on the linings. Lube only where the calapiers slide. Don't forget to pump the brakes before pulling off. Make a couple of hard stops with the new pads to seat them to the rotors.

ARCHER

BRAKE DUST

Chelsa,
thanks for the info. I have another question. I only have 7,200 miles on this MH. It was driven but for really short trips each year (like 10miles to campground and back, about 5-6 times each summer, by previous owner).
I find it hard to actually believe the pads are worn out or the rotors needed turning (unless it is rust that is causing the noise).
I'm getting ready to drive it today to see if cleaning the front brakes helped. I did not look at the back brakes (drum type), but the noise really seemed to be coming from the front last Dec when I almost reached my destination here in Florida. A little more background....(1) I was pulling a tow dolly with Honda on it, (2) never heard the noise for the first 1,000 miles of the trip, (3) when I got off Florida turnpike the noise began.
Anyway, I may know more today. If the noise is still there, I'll bite the bullet and take it in for complete check.
Still don't understand why with only 7,200 miles on it, that it could be something serious.
Again, tks :)

ARCHER

BRAKE DUST

UPDATE:
Drove the motorhome today and brakes seemed to be just fine. No noise at all and good pedal. Guess cleaning them at least solved the problem for now. I will certainly keep an eye / ear / while driving home this weekend.
Thanks to all who helped me on this one. I'm still pretty new, but learning more every day....thanks to all of the fine people who respond to these "Help/Distress Requests" from us rookies.
:laugh: :laugh: :cool:

C Nash

BRAKE DUST

Archer, good to hear you got the brakes fixed :) . Don't think it would be necessary to remove back with only 7500 and the front pads should not be gone without the previous owner was really rough on brakes. Rust was probably the culprit.

ARCHER

BRAKE DUST

Chelse,
the brakes worked fine on the way back from Florida. They did squeal some more while I was in stop and go traffic in/near Birmingham. Guess getting them hot while pulling a dolly w/honda on it caused the squeal. In any case, I'm gonna have them checked by GM before we make the long trip back to Florida next fall.
Thanks for the help