Brakes

popy

I have A 1983 Jayco popup.It has surge barkes but the master cylinder is shot.The wheel cylinders are also shot.Was wanting to know if it would be cheaper to replace these brakes with electric brakes or if you can change them over like that.Last time we went camping in the North Carolina Mountians I had to take the brake pads off one wheel because they were draging so bad.The hub got way to hot took them off no more problem.Just that I know it has no brakes at all!!

Kirk

Brakes

To convert to electric brakes is possible, but it is not easy or cheap. There is a lot involved to such a change. But surge brakes should not drag when going down a steep grade. I had them on a trailer for 12 years, towing in the Rocky Mountains most of the time we used it and never have that problem. There should be a mechanical parts that prevent the brake from applying unless you brake the tow vehicle. I would suspect that your entire system has serious problems. But I doubt that it would be any less costly to change to electric as compared to repairing what you have.

GoRvInGfOrFuN

Brakes

im my name is brandon im a master rvia tech i work for cliff jones rv and kirk is right again yes u can convert them over if u are willing to do the work urself it would be worth it to do so other then that to pay some one like me ur look about 4 hours labor 400 dollars in parts thats about what ur looking at

popy

Brakes

Thanks I think I will try to repair as much of the worn out stuff as I can first.Then buy the new stuff that I can't repair!!

GoRvInGfOrFuN

Brakes

well if u are a do it urself person. i would change it over to elect. brakes bc there better the then old style and more reliable then old stuff for a bunch of reasons and its not that hard. and its cheaper in the long run u can buy the hold elect. assembly plate and it comes with everything but the wiring and i can walk u thru it if u want that