Brand New to the road

famontherd

Well my family is going on the road in one month. We just bought a 95 Teton 40ft fifth wheel. Although we are already having a problem with it that requires a major repair job we are being positive. My husband works on the road so we decided to take the family. We have two children, 3.5 yr old daughter and a 3 month old son. We also have two pups. I am looking forward to starting our new way of life but I am also terrified..lol. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the newbies? Angela

TexasClodhopper

Re: Brand New to the road

Welcome to the forum, Angela!

I have advice that is good no matter what kind of RV you have.

Get it fixed BEFORE you go on the road! ;) :laugh:

But, you already know that! Happy trails!

Kirk

With any RV that is now 12 years old there is a good possibility of some significant repairs, but you have chosen one of the highest quality RVs that exist and with proper repair and maintenance you should do just fine. As to advice, I would suggest that you take some time and visit some of the personal sites found in signatures here and perhaps also some of the other RV forums. There are several others that are good and helpful.

Welcome to the road!

hertig

Here's a suggestion. Before you go 'on the road', go 'on the driveway' :) If you live in the RV for a few days in your driveway and/or a RV park a few miles away, you can come back home and pick up the things you WILL forget to pack. While living in it, use EVERYTHING to make sure it works, you know how to use it, and you have all part/accessories it needs.

SnowbirdInFlight

hertig - 5/23/2007 10:38 AM Here's a suggestion. Before you go 'on the road', go 'on the driveway' :) If you live in the RV for a few days in your driveway and/or a RV park a few miles away, you can come back home and pick up the things you WILL forget to pack. While living in it, use EVERYTHING to make sure it works, you know how to use it, and you have all part/accessories it needs.

This is the best advice anyone could ever give you!
thcamping2.gif

onthecoach

Welcome to the raod!! I admire your courage with 2 little ones in tow and the dogs!! The best advice I can give you as a full-timer is:

!!!!!!!!!!!KEEP YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need this more than just about anything else!!!!

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing and when you need help! We are all here to assist and help you have a wonderful experience!!!

raskal

RE: Brand New to the road

We're also "new". Taking delivery of our Carriage Cameo next week in MD and staying quite near for the first week before dragging it back to western Virginia to to stay for another week or so while we load it from our storage locker and stray from vacationers to full-timers + one used dog.

Finding and reading the information on this site has been a God send!

DL Rupper

Hey raskal good luck. Your Carriage should give you good service.
It doesn't matter what kind of RV you have or purchase you will experience problems out on the road. It rained really hard here a couple of days ago and I found a leak in my slide I didn't have before. I liberally applied silicone sealant to everything I could conceivably see that could have caused the leak, but suspect the new slide seals the factory installed 2 years ago aren't as good as the old ones were at keeping out the water.