British couple looking for advice

Brit

Hi All, We are a british couple living in france, we have been thinking of taking a year or two out to tour either europe or the USA, and after seeing your RV's the USA as it!
Seriously, we both have a passion for america, and your RV's are just out of this world, compared to the crap on offer here and in the UK.
We are looking for any helpfull advice, I have heard it can be dificult to get insurance being a forigner? also any info on fuel costs, camp site costs, etc would be a great help.
Also do you have to stop as camp sites? it seems to me that your RV's are that well kitted out you could stop anywhere! is this allowed? is it safe?
We are total newbies, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris & Rachael

hamdave

Re: British couple looking for advice

Hi and welcome to the net. We are currently in an RV park in FLA. A couple of folks here have the class-C cruiseAmerica RV rentals, cost is between 100-175 a day depending on length. I'm sure, like cars you can buy insurance rate/day as well. I would recommend state parks if possible as a general rule. We have stayed in several, and like them a lot. Keep reading on these forums, you will get a lot of info, just read with common sense, you will be okay.http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DARLING

There are many things to consider . 1. US RV are much larger the European model. Whether you choose a class C(front end shaped like a van body but body length much larger) or a class A(shaped like a bus with flat front end) How comfortable will you be driving something much larger than your car? 2. Do you enjoy each others company 24/7? Sometimes RV's can get close.
3. As for camping, there are many ways to go. DRY CAMPING(boon docking in parking lots,rest areas, truck stops)-means that you are hooked up to nothing, you use your own everything water, power,etc. CAMPGROUNDS- offer hookups on site, 2 way(water & electric ,no sewer you dump the tank) & full(water,electric & sewer). 4.Whether you choose gas model(8-14mpg) or dieselmodel(6-10mpg). 5. Do you plan on towing a car? 6. Campground memberships(Passport America, KOA,) give you a discount but will you use all they offer? 7. If rent an RV for a any period, Who is responsible for maintance & breakdowns? 8. And not to sound dismal but what about health/accident insurance on you. If something were to happen one of you could the other be able to drive, park, etc the RV? RV lifestyle is great but not always cheap. Plan well. Good Luck with your adventure.
Darling

Brit

Thanks Dave, we are looking to buy an RV as we want to tour for a year or two, so renting is not an option.
When you say state parks are best, how much does it cost , per night, per week, per month? is there time limits you can stay on each park for?
How much is Diesel per gallon? how much is gas?

Thanks

Chris

Brit

Thanks Darling, there are some good points to consider, the size would not be a problem as I have drove buses for several years, my wife drives, and although she had not driven anything that big, she as drove vans etc, its our intention that she will be driving the RV so we can share the driving.

We are together 24/7 now, we work together so we are never apart, in fact if ever we are apart for 24hrs we miss each other so much, so that would not be an issue.

One other question, is there wireless ADSL internet available across the US? internet access is quite important as our business is internet based.
If not are there other options? I saw an ad for a RV saying 2.4gig phone included, what is this? how much deos it cost, can you access the internet with it?

Thanks for the tip on camp ground membership, Ill look into that.

maintance & breakdowns?. We had considered this, and we would be looking for a breakdown company, someone recomended AAA, but if anyone can sugest a better option?

We would also of course be taking out health/accident insurance.

Thanks again

Chris & Rachael

Steve H

Brit - 2/18/2008 6:50 PM When you say state parks are best, how much does it cost , per night, per week, per month? This can vary quite a bit from state to state. Here in WA the fee is usually between $17 - $27 or so a night. I haven't seen "package" deals for longer stays.

is there time limits you can stay on each park for? Again, this will vary with each park you visit. Private parks are more into offering Weekly or Monthly rates than state parks! You might visit this site and type in a state. You should get a listing of many private and state operated RV parks. You can check prices there.

How much is Diesel per gallon? how much is gas? I paid $3.39 for Diesel tonight. Current rate is between $3.25 and $3.45. Right now diesel prices are on the downswing! A few months ago I was paying $3.70 a gallon! Diesel here in WA seems to run about the same or slightly higher than Premium gas. Regular is running from $3.00 - $3.35. Washington is notoriously high because of tax issues!

Best of luck!

Just saw your other questions. Wireless internet here is termed "Wifi" and it is available at many campgrounds, mostly private ones. It sometimes is included with the camping fee but often there is an extra charge.

For Roadside Assistance insurance, I would consider Coach.Net. I have had the Good Sams and had very bad luck with it. I have no experience with AAA.

Thanks Chris

krautdog

RE: British couple looking for advice

Hello,
Do you have any idea which states you want to visit? If you travel through northern Ohio, I can suggest some nice parks. We also have a lot of good fishing spots, if you are into that.

Cheers!

aussie Keith

Having done the exactly the same trip last year from another country I've put a message in your inbox so that we can give you more detailed help whenever you need it. We know it can be quite daunting to set up everything ready for the "off" and we'd be glad to help from what we learnt and experienced. You will have the trip of a lifetime so do it while you can!

hamdave

I definitely like state parks, especially if you talking a few days before moving on to your next destination. Each state has a listing and you got some info from another poster. Don't think the parks have monthly rental, but a lot honor passport america etc. You might consider a used rig as well, may save you a serious depreciation hit on cost of the unit.

Cheers

DARLING

Dear Chris & Racheal,
We have CSP(Goodsamcsp.com) for mechanical breakdown plan . This is underwritten by LLoyd's of London. This is available for new(for when new warranty runs out) & used(with less than 80,00 miles) models. Gas or Diesel. WE have used it for our power steps, our central AC unit 2x, even replaced our toilet.
We use SPRINT for our cell phones & our internet with an aircard in our laptop. Our internet is $60. a month but with unlimited broadband use. Anywhere the phone works, we have internet. When you in campgrounds thay offers WIFI they are not usually a secure network. So you use caution. If all you want to do is email & surfing they are fine. Anything with your business or money beware.
ON a lighter note, Rent the movie RV with Robin Williams & learn everything NOT to do. Laughter does a heart good.
Darling

DARLING

RE: British couple looking for advice

If you go under forum to Begining Rver's ther is a posting from Marstring(?) from the UK who is in the process of coming to the US to RV. Check it out. :) :)
Darling

Kirk

Chris,
Let me suggest that you read over the page at this link: http://www.adventure.1tree.net/full-time/visit_the_usa.htm

That page was written and is now maintained by a citizen of the UK who owns an RV here in the USA and who stores it here when he must return home and then comes back to travel the country in it again. Keith has been doing this now for four years and is presently spending the winter in Arizona. If you do visit that page, you will find that Keith also has his email address listed and he will be happy to respond to any inquiry.

JanetG

What an adventure for you!! Google "state parks" and each state will pop up with the link to the state parks. It seems people from other countries always want to go to Disney and Niagara Falls. We had friends from the Netherlands who had big plans to travel until they finally realized that there are a LOT of miles from Florida to California. So make realistic travel plans or you will kill yourselves trying to race from one place to another and not enjoy each place. Wishing you safe roads.