Brits wishing to buy a RV in USA

kekula

Myself and two other friends plan to buy a RV in America for 6 weeks in September '07, we have a minimum budget of $17000 for purchasing the RV then some cash for insurance, title etc.

I have several questions any reply would be appreciated.

1. In the UK we have third party insurance for example any damage to our vehicles is not insured only damage to any other vehicles is covered its seen as a budget policy, do you have the same in America?

2. Whats the story with titles!

In the UK the registration mark stays with the vehicle throughout its life (unless you pay to have a personalised plate), what documents do you need to get a title I understand insurance is required, do you need a permanent address to pick up a title.

3. If you buy a RV in America do you get a 'log book' or any other paperwork that comes with the RV, if so who do you send it off too.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Richard

Poppa

Re: Brits wishing to buy a RV in USA

You looking at 17k for a RV you arn't going to find much at thtaprics. Now there are several companies that will rent you an RV and from the short length of time you will be using it , I would say that would be your cest move.

DL Rupper

Renting would be your best option. Check out RV renatals on this forum.

Texas_Camper

question 1. We have that kind of insurance here, it's called "Liability Insurance".
2. When you buy a motor vehicle, you get the "Title" which is the official document of ownership. Then you have to "register" or buy license tags annually for it..
Once you buy a motor vehicle, it's yours to use as you see fit. Once you return home, then you either need to take it with you or sell it to someone else. This may take weeks or even months. It is hard to sell an RV when you're not here to show it to prospective buyers....
It would be cheaper and much more convenient to rent an RV. Either way, you will need a US drivers license and be able to purchase insurance.
Just my opinion

Texas_Camper

question 1. We have that kind of insurance here, it's called "Liability Insurance".
2. When you buy a motor vehicle, you get the "Title" which is the official document of ownership. Then you have to "register" or buy license tags annually for it..
Once you buy a motor vehicle, it's yours to use as you see fit. Once you return home, then you either need to take it with you or sell it to someone else. This may take weeks or even months. It is hard to sell an RV when you're not here to show it to prospective buyers....
It would be cheaper and much more convenient to rent an RV. Either way, you will need a US drivers license and be able to purchase insurance.
Just my opinion