Buying a fifth wheel

grantsi

My wife and I are retiring next Christmas. We have bought our diesel truck and want to buy a quality fifth wheel. Unfortunately we are limited to a total length of 28 feet because we still want to pull a boat. We live in Canada but would like to buy in the north western states because with the dollar we think we will get a better deal. Most luxury fifth wheels start over 30 feet. Can anyone suggest a quality unit with at least 2 slides and a dealer that will give us a good price? :)

JeannieJH

Buying a fifth wheel

Hi Grantsi,
We are retiring next June and are busy researching all kinds of fifth wheels. We have decided on a Wildcat 28RK. It has only one slide, but check it out! (Is there anyone out there who has a Wildcat and would like to comment?))

grantsi

Buying a fifth wheel

I really want something with 2 slides. We want to live in it about 6 months a year and I don't want to have to get rid of the wife.I will checkout the wildcats but they weren't rated very high in the consumer guide

grantsi

Buying a fifth wheel

thanks for the picture of your wildcat I hope you are happy with it. It is too small for me and I want a rear living room

Starship

Buying a fifth wheel

Might want to take a look at the Nash/Artic Fox line of trailers.

Well built and 4 season livability.
Don't know of a dealer that fits you locale criteria but a google search should turn up something.
They are made by Northwoods Manf in Oregon (now have facilities on the East coast also).

I previously owned two of their units (TT and 5er) would highly recommend them.

Shadow

Buying a fifth wheel

Hi Grantsi
Take a look at the Keystone line,(cougar,mountaineer,montana.)
I think the mountaineer has a 277 rls but most of your double
slides start at 29'. If you do decide to tow a boat, check all the
laws on triple towing and find a quality welder.

tex

Buying a fifth wheel

grants
i found two brands,ameri-camp andcarriage cameo,that have 5th wheels
under or around 28 ft.with 2 slides. both are made in indiana and
have web sites.hope this helps.
tex
2000 montana 3670

grantsi

Buying a fifth wheel

lots of good information does anyone know a dealer in the states that has dealt with canadians

JDHDKID

Buying a fifth wheel

We are new to the 5th wheels but we have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 31foot with 3 slides vear nice. I looked at a lot of 5th'ers and really liked the way they are made. They are made by Monaco Coach Corporation, you should check them out.
Good Luck, JDHDKID :) :laugh:

MikeinHB

Buying a fifth wheel

Grant, Call my brother Mark Ingram at Ingram's RV in Eugene,
Oregon. He has a huge inventory and can meet your need, IF
what you demand can be done. Your floorplan desire and your
towing restrictions don't match up well. By the way, with any
dealer in the states, tell them up front that you're Canadian,
if they can't already tell, and promise them that you won't be
an *******! :laugh: Marks # is 541-463-0405. Good Luck . . .eh!
Mike

rfdald

Buying a fifth wheel

Have you checked out the Alpenlite trailer, made in Yakima, WA? They're a little pricey, but quality is excellent. We had two of them. Not sure about the sizes they're making now, but they should have a web page with information about models and dealer locations.

drohe

Buying a fifth wheel

quote:Originally posted by grantsi

My wife and I are retiring next Christmas. We have bought our diesel truck and want to buy a quality fifth wheel. Unfortunately we are limited to a total length of 28 feet because we still want to pull a boat. We live in Canada but would like to buy in the north western states because with the dollar we think we will get a better deal. Most luxury fifth wheels start over 30 feet. Can anyone suggest a quality unit with at least 2 slides and a dealer that will give us a good price? :)

jstephensca

Buying a fifth wheel

I live in Ottawa and have looked into the idea of pulling a fifth wheel with a second trailer and have decided not to pursue this as there are several provinces and states that say it cannot be done.

In Canada, BC is one province that does not allow it. I found there were other Canadian provinces and many US states that do not allow it as well.

I was planning to pull a trailer with a motorcycle in it, but have now decided to buy a Titanium MPRV 5th wheel that has a 8 foot by 10 foot room on the back with a ramp.

I highly recommend that you very carefully assure whether or not a second trailer is legal. My findings suggest that it is not, and what do you do if stopped in the middle of a state or province ???

hertig

Buying a fifth wheel

When you say 'boat', could you carry it on top of your tow vehicle, or is it a 'real' boat which can only be trailered? In the latter case, you may want to dump the trailer idea and get a motorhome, particularly a class A. Then you can tow a boat trailer without much trouble.

anngorski

Buying a fifth wheel

Haven't found that perfect 5th wheel yet? I found ours--may be too long but check it out if you haven't found one.
Cardinal 29 RKLE. 2 slides, Includes all necessary features and beautiful.

murph

Buying a fifth wheel

I myself have been hunting for a two slide 5th wheel that is no longer than 30'. One reply suggested a Cardinal 29RK. For awhile this was a strong consideration but after more research my choice is the Arctic Fox 29-5E. The floor plans are similar in that they are both a rear kitchen model with livingroom and bedroom slides. The biggest differences is that the refrigerator is accessible with the ilivingroom slide in and bathroom layout. When your traveling on the road, stop for lunch you do not have to open the slide to get to the refrigerator. The bathroom in the Arctic Fox has walls and a door for the toilet tub area which gives you privacy. Some prefer the open concept, but my wife likes the seperation whether it is for her or guests. The arctic fox gets decent reviews as I have read on numerous forums. I also have thought about extended times on the road and wanted reasonable countertop space for the kitchen. Plenty out here and especially with diagonal corner sinks have very little working countertop space. If you go to http://www.northwoodmfg.com/2006/ and follow the arctic fox links you can look and compare.
Happy trails - Murph :)

DL Rupper

Buying a fifth wheel

Hey Grantsi, I just had a new rubber roof installed on my 11 year old HitchHiker 5er and toured the Custom Camper factory. While on tour I picked up a new brochure and noticed that in 2006 HitchHiker ll (Custom Camper)will be making a 26.5 HitchHiker LS model that has 2 slides. It actually is about 28 feet long. They are a little pricey but not as much as Alpenlite. They are designed for 4 seasons and are good for fulltimimg (vacum bonded fiberglass sidewalls). We have lived in ours off and on (mostly on) for 11 years. The catch is the 26.5 foot 2 slide model will probably require factory ordering because most dealers will not stock pricey smaller sized trailers. The tour guide at the factory passed on the info about special ordering when I asked to look inside one and she couldn't locate one completed or in process of assembly.

anngorski

Buying a fifth wheel

We just returned from Iowa with "'06 Forest River Cardinal LE 29K. It is everything we hoped for and then some. Although the 29K is misleading as far as length, total length is 33', it pulled from Iowa to MD like a breeze with a GMC 3/4 ton Durumax. Packing up today to leave for FL in the am. Found this on the Internet and got a great deal @ rvoverstock. The dealership is the best we have ever encountered and will definitely shop there again. Where are you grantsie? Have you found your dream home yet?