buying a new TT

stmet

11-2-06 Can anyone give me some advice on buying a new tt? I have shopped around and online and got a few quotes for 06's and 07's. Is there any advise as to when prices go up? I know if I buy a 06 now I will not use it till march or april of next year and I'm sure value will drop by then so I figure I better get a good deal on a 06 to buy it now. I was also looking at 07's and ordering one takes about 8 weeks so I was thinking of ordering one about mid Dec. Is this a good idea or will prices go up before then? I was also looking at an internet dealer RV Whosalers who quoted a good price. Any comments on this dealer or buying this way? Thank you for any help Steven

Kirk

Re: buying a new TT

Remember that if you buy an 06, it will be a year old the moment that you drive off of the lot, so the price should reflect that. You can usually get a better deal on one that is last year's model, but be sure that you do. Pay no more than 65% of the factory MSRP.

Kirk

Pretty much so. Of course, the catch is to balance what the dealer has in the RV aginst what it's value to you may be. The other thing to keep in mind is that the loss from depreciation has less effect the longer you keep the RV. In other words, suppose you could buy a 2007 for 80% of MSRP and a 2006 for 70%. Now each of those will depreciate by about $50% of the origional MSRP in the first three years after the year of manufacture. So if each had an MSRP of $50K, at the end of five years of life each would be worth $25K. But for the 2006 that three years will happen in only two years, so the difference is 1/3 less time of ownership. On the other hand, after ten years the value will probably be about $10K for each and while the 2006 would reach that point one year sooner, the difference in use would be only 10% less than the use time for the 2007, so the net effect per year is much less. The reason that is important is that if you will keep the RV for ten years or more, then the savings on the "last year" RV could very well pay off, even if you don't get it for quite the price that a used one of that year would command. But if you only plan to keep each one for two or three model years, the effect of anything you have to pay above the used value will have a great impact.

To know what the price is for the units that were made in 2006 and sold, check the NADA or the Kelly Blue book websites. The price that they quote is what yours will be worth the moment that you drive from the lot with it, if you buy last year's model.

The only issue with RV Wholesalers is service related. They are an Internet store front and do not have the ability to service what they sell. Price is important, but not the only issue involved when buying a new RV. You should also consider service, these unit bounce up and down all kind of roads, and things will need service from time to time. Ask to tour the service area, and meet some of the tech's. These are the guys that will be doing the make ready when sold, and repairs during warranty. Do they have the proper equipment, are their techs qualified, these are some of the questions to ask. Does your salesman know anything beyond what the brochure says about his product. The main thing is do not be afraid to ask questions. You may find that you can get the cheapest price for RV, but it may not be the best deal. If you find what you want at a dealer a good distance from your home, you might want to find out if there is a dealer for that brand in your area that will do warranty service for you.

To introduce myself to the site, My name is Pat, and I am currently Parts & Service Manager at my dealership, and also do Sales and Financing as well. I've been in the business 15 years and look forward to reading posts on this forum and answering any question you might have

Earl R

I'm looking into buying a 2007 Jayco Jayfeather 26L model. does anyone have any info on the Jayco lightweights?

DL Rupper

I haven't heard too many good reports on Jayco in the RV Magazine Action Lines. Mostly problems. :(