Buying a tow vehicle

Ray

I am in the market for a tow vehicle for a 35' fifth wheel with GVRW of 14,000 lbs. Am looking at a 2002 F350 Ford Power Stroke dually.
Will a four-wheel drive make a lot of difference in towing or will the 2-wheel drive work okay? What gear ratio should I look for? We will be doing a lot of mountain driving and any info you can give me will be appreciated. Will be going to Alaska this spring...
Ray

hertig

Buying a tow vehicle

The 4 wheel drive will add to the cost of the vehicle, requires more maintenance, adds another complex subsystem to break down and reduces the towing capacity a bit. I don't think it will help much on dry pavement, however in mud or snow it could be useful.

The higher the gear ratio, the more power you get, at the cost of reduced speed and gas mileage. I don't know about the F350, but in GMC products 410 is usually considered a good choice for towing, with 373 sometimes being adequate.

d.duin

Buying a tow vehicle

It's my understanding that 3:73 rear gears is all that is available on the ford. I had a 2001 stroker with a 6 speed and traded it for
a 2002 when the 01 had 45,000 miles. The 02 is automatic. I really
preferred the 6 spd but it seemed to have more torque to the rear wheels & I found 4 wheel drive was required in wet slippery conditions
or you would just spin out pulling loads. The auto isn't as bad but I would advise getting four wheel drive, and it will pay off in resale
value.

Ray

Buying a tow vehicle

Thanks, guys. I need all the help I can get as this is my first experience with towing a fifth wheel.

Ray

Gary B

Buying a tow vehicle

Hi Ray, I agree with hertig, I don't thing 4 wheel is needed, I bought a 1993 F-350 dually new in 93 and now have 100000 miles on it mostly towing and have never had a problem and never really needed the extra expense and maint. of 4 wheel, and I live in Mn. and we have gone to Az many times in the winter. JMHO :) :approve:

C Nash

Buying a tow vehicle

Hi Ray,
I'm with Gary and hertig :approve: . Most 4 wheel drive will not tow as much as the two wheel drive but, I guess if it gets you out of one jam it may be worth it. I would never attempt to tow in any kind of weather that needed a four wheel drive anyway and a dually would not make a good off roader. Been towing for 40+ years and never needed a four wheel drive but, now I'll probably need one tomorrow :laugh: