Buying the right truck for towing a 5th wheel.

Ed Steward

Hi, my wife and I are researching vehicles that will safely pull a 16,000lb plus Double Tree elite 5th wheel. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed Steward

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Buying the right truck for towing a 5th wheel.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A GM 3500 with the Duramax/Allison is rated to tow a 16,600lb. fifth wheel, but a 4500 or 5500 would do a better job.

DL Rupper

Go big rather than smaller 3/4 or 1 ton. The larger trucks are safer. :laugh:

DCG

Ed pulling is only part of the problem remember what you pull you must stop. We looked at the elite and if I remember right they are rated for about 18000 and if you are full timing it believe me you will get there. Also check the combine weight rating and be sure to include yourself, fuel and all the misc items in the tool box plus the total gross weight rating of the trailer. The reason I include the the total weight rating of the trailer is there are times when you will be traveling with your water tank at least 1/2 full plus fluids in your holding tanks.
We did have a Teton and pulled it with a Med Duty and when we traded it for a lighter trailer we decided to keep it mainly for safety reasons and longivity.

HighwayRanger

Bigger, bigger, bigger! IMHO, from exhaustive research, at least get an MDT! Far too many people have gone through several F series or Duramax trucks, having to dump lots of cash into modifications to beef them up. They ultimately trade for an MDT (Freightliner FL or Intl 4400,) and some are even frustrated by the lack of power with those. Ultimately, some full timers even move up to an HDT (big-rig.)

When we go full time, if we go with our dream fifth-wheel, I'll try to swing the HDT right from the start in order to save money in the long run!