Call for Class Action Lawsuit against unsafe MHs

Adamthegreat

Iris, I apologizeI've been real busy with the Holiday season... I'll get back to you soon, please be patient with me...

Hope everyone had a merrry Christmas!

docems

I would like to throw in my two cents also. I am one of the people that has had the multiple problems with our fifth wheel.. I have the 9 invoices with the forty-five some repairs completed to our unit. You are hearing one side from me but I am not exagerating or out to slam any rv builder. My wife and I love the rv experience, but if the rv is always in the shop it's hard to enjoy the rv lifestyle. We purchased our 2004 unit in Feb '03 and to date it has been in the shop for 4 of those months.
We as rver's should have some recourse against the builders of these units to help inprove their quality.
I have has other rv's with absolutely no problems but when you get a bad unit, the buyer should be able to exchange the unit or return the unit if there are multiple problems in a short time.

C Nash

Iris, sorry about taking so long to reply but have been away for several weeks. i would like to have copies of work orders and maybe pictures emailed to me. I did not mean that you should not try to contact others that have problems through the forums, just find those that have had problems and then go email to see if class action is in order. I just hate to see the bashing of different companys but, I know it does help to vent sometimes. If the companys would come on here and defend themselfs it would be great. Oh and by the way this is not my forum :) guess maybe i am giving my opinion to often :(

charles

Your class action idea is harder than you think. You can only do a class action claim against one manufacturer at a time and can't usually do it with only 5 or so people, in most states. You must instead have so many people it is impracticable for each to sue separately. Also, the claimants must all have the same exact problem. (Examples: 6000 Breast implant ruptures, or city charges everybody 5 cents too much on electric bills etc. The people suing can't have different problems or have situations where the proof of each will be different (one says the roof leaked and another says the electrical system didn't work etc.- won't work ) I'm an attorney, but don't do class actions -- but know enough about them to state the above as the general requirements. Different state have different rules. Some would make it easier for such RV claims tham others. In Louisiana it is real hard to "qualify" for a class action for example. You get thrown out by the judge because he says your claims are all a little different and involve different evidence, or different proof as to damages. The federal rules are more lax. You choices will be between the federal rules and the state rules where the defendants "home base" is. Best plan is to unit RVers on this board who have identical problems against same manufacturer. When you get enough to form a committee and then you collect $500 or so for an attorney consult ($20 each for 25 people) and go talk to an attorney who does class actions in the State and town where the manufacturer is located, and see what the Atty says. Have you people all on a typed list with names, addreses, phone, type problem , short summary of problem,estimate of cost to fix it, repair attempts they can hopefully document with paperwork (not just I called dealer 10 times --he'll deny that and YOU have the BURDEN of proof)
You go to manufacturer's state because that's where you have to sue him. You go close to his town because it costs more to have some attorney travel across US than to go across street to courthouse, and you'll pay for his airfare, etc.
Also, he will know the local judges and the local rules etc. Important to find one that really does class actions. This is a special nitch, highly technical, and he needs a whole computer staff just for class actions to even dream of doing them. Most attys don't do class actions.
Charles

Charles

cowbooy

To start with "recreational" doesn't mean no problems..(in fact the equip you used is subjected to more that reasonable wear and tear).....not in the real world....a motor home is a mechanical monster...for lack of a better term....you can spend a million or more and still have the same probs as the lessor expensive....it is not logical to believe any different...you have to be open minded....if you weren't interested in the lifestyle you would not hve purchased the home...granted there is some things that probably should be addressed legally...but for the most part 99 percent of the probs can be handled thru warranty or the good will of the dealer you bought it from....it is very important to understand your motorhome and your salesperson is there to help with that....stay positive....it is a big investment and you can't just take it back....enjoyment will outweigh the probs if you let it.....also in ending be careful whose gossip you listen too....be of your own mind...