camp club

DL Rupper

Re: camp club

Hey kbdayton, welcome to the forum. It's Campclub USA and it is part of the Good Sam Club (Affinity Group) empire. I like the Passport America 50% off club so haven't participated or joined the Campculb USA. I personally feel that the Affinity Group looked at Passport America as a challenge to their RV empire and started the Campclub USA 50% off in competition. ;) Beside Passport America has many, many more membership campgrounds than Campclub USA. :)

kbdayton

Thank you for your information. On the Passport - are there any restrictions as to when you can use these campgrounds. Do you need to give notice before going and how much time do they need if so? What is the average price you pay?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hello and yes welcome,
I joined Passport a couple of years ago. I did not join the next year.

Yes there are restrictions on when you can use it. All the places I went to would not honor it on weekends, only during the week. Personally, I cannot go during the week. Just did not work for me. Someone like DL and others that are on the road full time, it just might be a good investment.

hertig

Each Passport America campground has different restrictions. Most don't accept it when there is a big annual event. Some don't accept it on certain days, many limit the usage to a few nights. The restrictions will be listed in the entry for each campground in the book or on the CD or at the website.

Most campgrounds like reservations but a few will not take them (or will not take them from Passport America members). Many do not require a credit card, and those you can cancel or change even the same day. The ones which take a credit card during the reservation process will tell you what the timetable/cost is to cancel/change the reservation.

I would say that I usually pay between 10 and 16 dollars a night. The parks tend to be cheaper and more conveniant in the southwest than in the north east (where the land is more crowded, naturally, and costs more and is further away from where you want to be). Carry some cash, some parks accept plastic; some don't. Some parks are pretty cheezy, some are average and some are really nice.

DL Rupper

Passport America works if you happen to be going to a place that honors Passport America. I don't go out of my way to find a Passport America Park, but use them when available. For instance last month I made advance reservations for the Labor Day weekend at a campground in Maine. When I showed up, I found out it was a Passport and Good Sam Park. The weekly Good Sam rate was $171. I combined the 50% off nightly (restricted to Sun-Thur) Passport America rate for 3 nights (Tu-Wed-Thur) and used the Good Sam 10% discount over the Labor Day weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon)and ended up paying $144 for the week. A savings of $27. That paid about 1/2 of the yearly $44 Passport America membership cost. :cool: I suspect the Campclub USA (50% off) works about the same with restrictions on when you can use it. The difference as I see it is more campgrounds are affiliated with Passport America. It may end up that I will join Campclub USA as well as keep my membership in Passport America and the Good Sam Club. If you camp enough during the year they would all pay for themselves and then some.

Kirk

We belong to Passport America and have no interest in the new one from Affinity Ent. If you need two, there is also "Happy Campers" who is pretty much the same thing and who is nearly as old as PA. The URL for Happy Campers is http://www.camphalfprice.com/