CAMP MATS...USE 'EM OR NOT ?

KY KAMPERS

HI ALL....FRIENDS OF OURS TELL US WE CAN'T CAMP WITHOUT A CAMP MAT FOR THE ENTRANCE TO OUR TT...THEY LOOK LIKE A BIG AREA RUG AND I AM WONDERING IF THEY ARE WORTH THE EFFORT DUE TO THE STORAGE SPACE THEY WILL USE AND HOW EASY ARE THEY TO ROLL UP AND PUT AWAY ? ( AND CLEAN OFF ) DO YOU USE THEM ON CONCRETE AND GRASS ? DON'T WANT TO CARRY ANY NON-ESSENTIAL ITEMS...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ?

KY KAMPERS

Re: CAMP MATS...USE 'EM OR NOT ?

Sorry, I can't get the hang of not using capital letters.I use them every day in my job and old habits die hard !!!

Texas_Camper

We carry a small green outdoor carpet, 3' X 5' so we can wipe our feet before entering the trailer. For us, anything bigger is a hassle to roll and store. We use it most of the time...I don't know where your friends got their info that you can't camp without them, because we've never been to a place where they were required.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Welcome back

My wife and I do use a 9 x 12mat. They are nice and help keep dirt and grass out of the trailer.

Ourmat ismade of a plastic materialthat water goes through and will not harm grass. You can use them on concrete also. As far as cleaning, we just have to hose ours off, it dries quickly, and folds easily. It is not "required", but makes life easier. A "grass" type mat will get heavy when wet and not clean very easily.

We sell a lot of these too!

hertig

I just have carpet which wraps around the first step and is held on with springs. No storage problems at all (folds up into the step) and blast it with a hose when it gets too cruddy and let it dry. I got it at Camping World, comes in various colors and sizes.

routabit

We have one of the plastic weave type that CW sells, I think it's 9'x12' with a catchy name (Patty O'Mat, I think). There are great for grass or any hard surface and they sweep off easily. I am hesitant about putting it down on dirt though, where you really need them the most. We have done this before and they don't clean up well in some types of dirt, red Sedona or dusty. Also, we had some unexpected rain one night in Nor Cal. and we were moving out the next AM. What a mess it was, adding another problem to the normal muddy move. The best thing we could do is just get it contained into a trash bag and hang it out to dry and wash at the next oppotunity.

You really should have one available as part of the RV arsenal of stuff to carry with you though. They are practical and make the trailer look and feel a little bit homeier. Don't do the cheap/fake grass though. They don't fold up as nicely for storage. :cool:

Kirk

We got one of the "Patty-O-Mats" from Camping World as a gift when we went on the road 6 1/2 years ago. We don't use it for short term stays, but we do when we are to be sitting still for a week or more. It is true that they can be challenging to clean after use at times, but it is worth the effort. We find that our motorhome stays much cleaner when it is out. We had some of that "fake grass" trash and believe it to be a waste of money. It doesn't clean up nearly as well as the mat and they don't last long if you use them a lot either. Our "Patty" is still in good condition after a great deal of use.

DL Rupper

We use a 3x5 in front of the door and use the wrap around mats on 2 of our steps. Fairly efficient for keeping dirt out and not to hard to store. Don't have room to store anything larger as we full-time and space is a premium commodity not to be used friviously. :approve: :bleh:

deniloo

RE: CAMP MATS...USE 'EM OR NOT ?

We also have the 9x12 mat and it isn't only good for keeping 5th wheel cleaner but provides a nice clean place for the dogs to relax. Keeping the pets clean while camping is much easier if they have a clean place to lay down. Ours folds up into a rectangle that is approx 12x36 so it doean't really take up that much space. Cleans up nice. Fake grass gets very heavy when wet, this doesn't. I guess it's just a matter of prefrence.

ARCHER

WE bought two of those plastic type mats while in Texas last winter and love them. They are 6 X 15 (so two are 30 foot long) and fit end to end and cover completely under the awning and then some. We use to old green ones we had for around the front and rear to keep stickers, etc., off so we don't track them inside. Went dumpster dipping down here for this winter and found some pieces of brand new carpet at remodle sites that worked well for other areas around the MH. Owner's don't mind us putting them down. WE wouldn't be without mats ;)