camper on a 1/2 ton with 3" lift? am I nuts???

ivancat

Hi everyone,

I have an '88 gmc 1/2 ton with a 3 inch lift kit. Am I totally crazy in wanting to put a camper on it? I'm new to this, so forgive my newbie questions. I've been told I can't go much above 1500 lbs with a normal half ton, so I wonder what the lift kit does to this?

Also, I've seen 'helper leaf springs' for sale on the internet, which fit inside the regular leaf springs.

example here --

http://www.avirtualmall.com/discount/947098.html

These claim they increase the capacity of the truck bed to 2500 lbs. Does anyone know if these work, or if they would be useful in my situation. (what makes a 3/4 or 1 ton different anyway, heavier leaf springs and shocks? bigger engine?) I'd love to have a heavier camper, if they would work.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

:)

Gruffy

camper on a 1/2 ton with 3" lift? am I nuts???

I see no one else has tried to answer so here goes.

A 3/4 or 1 ton has more steel in the wheels, 8 bolt hubs, load range E tires (3000lbs+ each wheel). The springs are bigger, so are the shocks, so is the frame. Actually 3/4 and 1 tons share more components then 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons.

All the helper springs in the world don't change the manufacturers GVWR on your door sticker. They may remove some spring sag from old age but they don't change the weight rateing of the truck. 3 inch lifts don't change anything, just looks.

As far as your carrying capacity, read your door sticker, then weigh the truck and subtract. It may be quite a bit LESS THEN 1500 lbs.