Camper Toilet Trouble

MarshalMac

I am a newbie to camping, and we recently bought an old trailer as our "first" or "starter" camper, it is a Holiday Rambler Vacationer. It needs work, but overall decent shape. The toilet is a low-profile type and from photos APPEARS to be a Thetford Aqua Flush. The valve body in the back broke, removed toilet, only thing found on toilet for identification was a date of June 15, 1970. Went to local dealer and got a new valve and installed. Replaced toilet, now it doesn't get any water. I know the lines are working, it was spewing water everywhere before I replaced valve. You can feel the valve opening and closing when you depress the foot pedals.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Krazeehorse

Camper Toilet Trouble

Do you have water pressure at the sink? If you have pressure at the sink then I would loosen the line to the toilet and see if you have water pressure there. I assume you have a garden hose connected to the trailer, otherwise you would need a battery to run the water pump to get water out of your fresh water tank. I saw in your other post that the battery was broken. It may be the battery on the tongue of the trailer is for emergency braking only. You may have another battery somewhere in the trailer.

MarshalMac

Camper Toilet Trouble

Thanks for replying! Yes, using water hose.

I don't know history of this trailer, it's been replumbed and rewired. The holding tank disconnected, pressure pump disconnected, I found no 12V lights on board. Water heater and fridge both electric. I suspect it came from a hunt club or something. Tires are "bias belted" and heavily weathered but have nearly new tread. Holding tank dump valve was stuck in open position.

Toilet was working before new valve installed (leaked at valve). Have water to both sinks and shower. I had water to toilet before valve replacement, I don't see any reason it shouldn't have now. Only way to check is to cut line, which I actually thought about...LOL!

Toilet no longer leaks, but now won't flush.

Someone had mentioned a "vacuum breaker" on this toilet, would that have anything to do with it?

Thanks again!!

ARCHER

Camper Toilet Trouble

You can also send email to Thetford and might get some guidance from them, even if you don't know the model number. They helped me when I had a problem. Try it.... :)

ARCHER

Camper Toilet Trouble

You can also send email to Thetford and might get some guidance from them, even if you don't know the model number. They helped me when I had a problem. Try it.... :)

Kirk

Camper Toilet Trouble

I would go back to the dealer where you had the valve replaced and ask to talk with the tech who did the repair. I would bet that he will help you and it is very possible that the problem is in the repair. I doubt that he tested it since it was out on the work bench.

One other thing, if you don't realize it, you do need to replace those tires before you tow, even though it has a lot of tread. RV tires of more than seven years old are just blow-outs waiting to happen.

DL Rupper

Camper Toilet Trouble

Hey MarshalMac, welcome to the forum. If you don't do anything else, get new tires. Kirk is 100% right about old tires with good tread. Hope you get your RV problems ironed out.

John Harrelson

Camper Toilet Trouble

One thing that has not been suggested is ... can the valve be installed backwards ?? I don't know,is why I ask...

I do know that some valves are "one-way" valves and water cannot flow through the valve is it is installed backwards..

just a thought,
John

MarshalMac

Camper Toilet Trouble

Wow, thanks for all the replies...let's see.

I emailed Thetford, waiting on reply.

Dealer did not install valve, I did (much cheaper and a very simple repair). Dealer mentioned this toilet comes with a "vacuum breaker" whatever the heck that is?

Tires are top on my list. We wanted to try it out first and make sure it was a "keeper" which I think it will be once all bugs and repairs made. Being an ex motorcylist I can't stress enough the safety of good tires. LOL!

Valve will not go in backwards, although good guess. It will only work one way. I can stick my hand around back and feel the valve literally open/close with pedals.
And I certainly appreciate your two cents worth...LOL!

So, if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to chip in their opinions, ideas, comments, so on? I certainly appreciate them all.

Thanks.

s.harrington

Camper Toilet Trouble

quote:Originally posted by MarshalMac

I am a newbie to camping, and we recently bought an old trailer as our "first" or "starter" camper, it is a Holiday Rambler Vacationer. It needs work, but overall decent shape. The toilet is a low-profile type and from photos APPEARS to be a Thetford Aqua Flush. The valve body in the back broke, removed toilet, only thing found on toilet for identification was a date of June 15, 1970. Went to local dealer and got a new valve and installed. Replaced toilet, now it doesn't get any water. I know the lines are working, it was spewing water everywhere before I replaced valve. You can feel the valve opening and closing when you depress the foot pedals.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Some Holiday ramblers had shutoff valves to the toilet under the sink area look there and see. They are usually down in a hole that you can just get your hand in.