Campground Hosting

JRW

Does anyone have experience with campground hosting? I met a couple in a Arizona state park this fall who were working as campground hosts. They told me that after hosting for two months that they could stay for free for the 10 months in any of the Arizona stste parks. All the information I've found says that campground host are expected to work about 20 hours a week in trade for free camping but nothing about the "free" ten months. Any information will be appreciated.

C Nash

Re: Campground Hosting

State parks here in Alabama offer free full hook up for about 20 hr work with 5 days on and two off. Never heard of the free 10 months. That would be hard to believe. Corp of engineer parks have to be bid on.

Kirk

We have done campground hosting for several different agencies as well as other types of volunteer for site positions over the past seven years. I did visit with Arizona parks about such a position, but I was not told of any such benefit, but it would be very easy to contact the Arizona parks department and find out. Just tell them that you are interested in becoming a campground host for them and ask.

We were given an annual parks pass when we hosted in both Oregon and in Idaho for the season. But those passes were good for admission and got a discount on campground fees, not free camping for a year.

s.harrington

In Washington State Parks its free camping and hookups for a couple of hours a day work but no free camping without work. You can host year round if you don't mind changing parks every month or so.

Gruffy

Lets see here .... 20 hours a week or 80 hours a month..... a site here is $225 with power..... that equals $2.81 per hour. Just what is Federal minimum wage these days???

Kirk

Obviously, Gruffy does not understand what the word volunteer" means? Have you ever figured out what the return is for people who volunteer for kids sports, Boy/Girl Scouts, Red Cross Disaster teams, and thousands of other volunteer organizations. Most of those pay for their own training and their own expenses. Some of us who have done that for all of our lives consider receiving a place to park our RV and utilities to be one heck of a deal!

TexasClodhopper

Kirk, you and Pam are inspiring! Keep it up!

Gruffy, I agree it isn't much money, but people that volunteer to workcamp in the parks suppliment their income in other ways. That makes it more practical.

You can think of it like volunteering for military service without the long-term contract! :laugh:

DL Rupper

We had fun hosting at Capitol Reef Nat'l Park in UT. It was a great experience, however, once was enough for us. Just like one hitch in the military is usally enough. :clown:

Texas_Camper

Camp Hosts in Texas State Parks normally work 20 hrs per week for a free site and full hookups. You have to sign on for at least 30 days...

DCG

We have been Work Camping for several years now and enjoy it. These people who sit down and figure out how much they are making per hour are a pain in the ------. They have never done a thing in their life that they did not get paid for. Granted we are not going to get rich doing this but it does help with expenses and gives us extra money to do other things on our days off that we might not do. Besides we have met and made some great friends doing this work and yes we have met some real jerks who have to be paid for every little thing they do.
What you must take in consideration if you are figuring out what you are making is not just your monthly space rent but also electric cost per month, laundry, propane if included, state and federal taxes you would have to pay if paid in cash. So that $2.50 an hour someone stated is long since gone by the way side. But if you need to be paid there are jobs out there that pay $7.00 to $8.00 an hour but you must work 36 to 40 hours in most cases and in some cases you work 10 hours per week for your space and are paid for the bal. of hours worked.

C Nash

Who is trying to save or make money if you are rving anyway :eek: . If we had all the monies we spent on rvs and camping we would be rich with money but void in memories. I'll take the memories :approve: and looking for many more.

Poppa

Work camping sounds good to me as far as a few hours work for free stay. Does any one have experience as a wagon master (I think thats what they are called ) on caravan trips. If so whom would one speak with to do this.

onthecoach

Hubby and I have applied to the National Park Service for Camp Hosting in the National Parks....but my guess is that it take a REALLY long time to hear back from these folks! We would LOVE to be able to be 'paid' to visit all the National Parks...moving every couple of months and having our sites for free! How SWEET is that!?!?!?

BTW---if you are planning to visit Colter Bay in Grand Tetons, be SURE to get your Golden Age Pass (age 62+ / one-time $10 fee at any National Park - good for life!) and stay at the CAMPGROUND (NOT RV Park)!!! The RV Park is crowded and expensive ($45/night for FHU). The Campground (right next door) is $8.50/night for water + electric...w/the dump station on the way in or out. As a matter of fact, while we were there in June, we were told we could stay there ALL SUMMER!!! They have over 300 sites and it is NEVER Full!!! The sites are beautiful - secluded and quite! You will often see wild life walking through, as well! Not a bad deal for $8.50!!! If we hadn't had to move to NJ for work, we probably would have stayed for the summer!!! Maybe next year!?!?!?!?!! :laugh: