Campsite Availability

Steve H

Being fairly new to the RV thing, last summer I reserved campsites well in advance (a month or so) so I would have one less thing to worry about while on the road.

I just started looking for this summer and was surprised to find that virtually all the WA State Parks I checked (about 10) were booked solid every weekend until late September. An occassional weekday was available but not many.

My questions...is it now necessary to book a year or more in advance to get campsites? What is it like in your state?

Many thanks! Have an awesome summer!

DL Rupper

Re: Campsite Availability

From our experience a lot of States keep about 1/2 of their sites as first come first serve. It sounds like Washington should keep some available if for no other reason than to be hospitable to out-of-state visitors passing through spending their money locally.

We have to book ahead in commercial campgrounds during their busy season's a lot more often than we used too. When we started in 1995 we never booked ahead even in the summer season or down south during the "snowbird" season. Now if we want to stay a month we book ahead. Short stays 1 week or less are usually available at commercial parks anytime unless a big event or holiday is going to happen at the same weekend we arrive.

Are there any Forest Service or BLM campgrounds around where you camp? Unless they have turned the operation over to a commercial contract bidder they don't usually take reservations.

With the high cost of fuel it will probably get harder to get campground sites locally as many folks will stay close to home and go camping for their summer vacation.

PattieAM

Weekends and holidays are pretty much peak camping times here on the east coast. However I've had good results in booking a campsite at various State Parks (VA, NC and MD) within a week or so of my planned trip.

I am attempting to get reservations for a place near Ft. Bragg, NC at present, and my initial inquiries had several sites 2 weeks ago, but with special base events this week and the Memorial Day holiday - nothing is available - so am postponing my trip until I can get a site at this location. (Passport America - $12.50/night)

G

well i am curently in Mrytle Beach SC ,, but had my reservations six months ,, before i planned to stay here ,, yes u need very pong term reservations to stay in a comercial CG's as D mentioned ,, but i can not reply on state parks ,, cause i have never stayed in one ,, not one ,,, :eek: :eek: :)

Steve H

730 - 5/22/2008 4:30 PM well i am curently in Mrytle Beach SC ,, but had my reservations six months ,, before i planned to stay here ,, yes u need very pong term reservations to stay in a comercial CG's as D mentioned ,, but i can not reply on state parks ,, cause i have never stayed in one ,, not one ,,, :eek: :eek: :)
:) Hey, isn't there a big bike rally in Mrytle Beach? I have ridden to Sturgis but that's about as far east as I have gone! Would be fun to make it to Daytona or Myrtle Beach but I'm getting old! The 5ver is an entire different ballgame from the tent and sleeping bag on the bike! Funny, seems to be easier to get a Private Campground reservation here than a state park! I too, like the commercial venues but after doing the state parks in Oregon, I must say they are really great! Have a fun and safe time in South Carolina!

G

yes steve ,, the harley bike week just ended ,, but now u have the crotch rocket bike week ,, actually ,, black bike week ,, but from what i have heard ,, the black bikers spend a ton of more money in this place then do the harleys ,, well i won't say what i'm thinking ,, but they do have alot of custom sponsors that set up for them ,, like Dub wheels and so on ,, but i don't go to any of it,,, i go to the beach to be ,, on the beach ,, i spend all day there ,, from sun up till sun down ,, and as my sig says ,, my way of life ,, but i wish it was ,, for real ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh:

utmtman

In Utah they also keep half the sites on a first come first serve basis. Resorts are private they usually take it any way they can get it including reservations in advance.

Kirk

I have found the reservation practices vary widely from one state to the next. I know of several states that do allow reservations for all of the campsites. When we were hosts in Oregon, the park where we were did so. Here in Texas, I don't know of any park that does not hold at least part of the sites for those COE park in Texas that holds no sites out of the reservation system. I suspect that you can find out about reservation policies in most parks via the internet.