Can I store my MH with the leveling jacks depoloyed?

patrolone

Hi all,

Does anybody have an opinion as to storing their MH with the jacks deployed as oppossed to having all the weight on the tires? I know this seems like a silly question because when you camp you have them deployed, I am just curious as to the affects (affects, effects???) of long term storage. Thanks!

Gary

TexasClodhopper

Re: Can I store my MH with the leveling jacks depoloyed?

Gary, you'll want the shafts of your jacks retracted to protect them from corrosion. Once you get the chrome to show rust spots, you will start to have leaks around the seals.

brodavid

Right on Tex, and no one wants leaky seals

LEN

There are several products that one can spray on the exposed crome area to keep them in good shape if you store jacks down. A silicone spray is best every couple weeks or so and then a good wipe down and respray to keep the dust or what ever from forming a solid mess. But with the others here if you can't get by at least monthly keep the jacks up.

LEN

patrolone

If I am in the desert SW, do i really have to worry about the rust??? I only ask because it is so dry here in Blythe. If rust is not a problem, are there any other concerns? I can lube them up and keep them free of sand so that I dont create additional issues, just curious if it would create an issue with storing with the pressure on the jacks or not. I appreciate all your help with this issue...

elkhartjim

Do you have electric or hydraulic jacks? I ask because if you have electric jacks, no chrome to rust and pit.

patrolone

They are hydraulic.. I thought they would all be stainless regardless of how they were operated, I guess I am wrong...

patrolone

I appreciate everybodies input. I will take all information into consideration and do research on my own because my question is still unanswered. I think I will get ahold of Tiffin to get answers to my questions. You are all very informative and knowledgable in this topic. Again, thanks to those of you who responded.

Gary

C Nash

My manual says to spray them ever two weeks with a silicone spray and wipe them off.

elkhartjim

patrolone - 9/18/2009 2:35 PM I appreciate everybodies input. I will take all information into consideration and do research on my own because my question is still unanswered. I think I will get ahold of Tiffin to get answers to my questions. You are all very informative and knowledgable in this topic. Again, thanks to those of you who responded. Gary

Contacting Tiffin is a great idea. Post back what they say, please.

LEN

I'm confused or your last response, we gave opinions and responded to those opinions and that IS what you asked for. Maybe you need to clarify your question. The answers as expressed were yes and no depending on prevention, what else from your original question can we give.

LEN

Kirk

Let me suggest that if you contact someone to ask, make it the company that built the jacks.

As to storage with the jacks down, if that were bad for them, what value would jacks be to those of us who are fulltimers? We sit with our jacks down all of the time except the actual driving hours! Any well made leveling jack should have the shafts made of something that will withstand the weather. We have jacks from Big Foot and ours are now nearing 12 years old and 10 years of that has been with us living all of the time in the RV. We travel for a month or two and then we sit in one spot for anywhere from one to four months and our longest was five months. And we don't park with the jacks up!

In our experience, we have had on position indicator fail, which I replaced with a part sold to me direct from Big Foot, two jacks have had a solenoid fail and again I replaced the part, from that same source. Last spring, since we were passing near the Florida location for Big Foot, I stopped in and had then go through all four jacks and check and replace everything they felt might be needed and it took just over five hours and the total cost was less than $300. Not bad for 11 year old jacks, I'd think.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by storing with the jacks up, if you follow the manufacturer's instructions. And there is something to be gained for your suspension by relieving it of a major share of the weight that would otherwise be compressing it. If you talk with the jack techs, I am sure that they will confirm what I have told you. It was the Big Foot support folks where I got my instructions and advice.

patrolone

Kirk,

Thank you very much for the post. That is exactly what I was looking for, someone who has long term experience with their storage jacks deployed; not saying everybody who posted doesnt have that same experience. :) :approve:

Everybody else,

Next time I will word my questions more precisely. My appologies to anybody that I may have confused; I did ask for opinions and got them and dont want to sound ungrateful. I will post when I get ahold of Tiffin with thier response. I will also apply the silicone spray as directed in my manual. :blackeye: :blush:

My family and I have not yet taken delivery of our coach as of yet; the dealer is taking its sweet time in its preparation, so my manual is not in front of me at this time. We were supposed to take delivery this last Wed, but they called and asked if they could have another week, to which I agreed. I figure the more preparations I make now the easier it will be when I actually get the coach home; I just dont want any issues right off the bat... We are really excited about it this new venture in life. :) :cool: