Can I tow a light weight trailer with Minivan?

Mike1235

I am admiring the Starcraft Expandables. Ideally I would like to tow the small one with a front wheel drive minivan like the Ford Freestar. Is this going to work out? Or will I try it and feel like the car is not safe? I don't expect to do long distance. Most camp sites would be with a few hours drive. What extra equipment would I need?

thanks, Mike

Ed H.

Can I tow a light weight trailer with Minivan?

The manufacturer of the van can give you its tow rating. This will be the absolute maximum load you can tow and still have the factory stand behind their product. Look for a trailer with a maximum GVW rating below that number. I have pushed the limits of tow vehicles and it can get a little (or a lot) hairy, just remember the reason you want an RV is to relax.
As for equipment, a weight-distributing hitch and sway control system are nessecities even for short trips. A good electric brake controller is mandatory if the trailer has electric brakes. And don't forget a set of extension mirrors that will allow you to see around the trailer.
I don't know much about the Freestar, but any Ford dealer or Ford Motor Company should be able to tell you the recomendations re: towing. The only "rule of thumb" for towing limits I can pass along is: if you have any doubts, don't do it.