can I tow a Sierra 272RBBS with a f150 lariet

businessmail

I am very new to the RV world. I have a Ford F150 with a towing package, the truck is a short box. I am in the process of purchasing a Sierra 272RBBS which the dealer in Canada says is 27'. On visiting the American sites they say the Trailer is in fact a 25 footer.

I have been told(by the dealer) that I can tow this trailer easily but truthfully I am beginning to have doubts. If i understand my manual correctly I can tow a trailer weighting 7500lbs and the Sierra is 6900lbs.

I am intending to spend 6 months next year touring the USA so the Sierra would be perfect. As long as I can tow it.

Any help or advise would be appreciated I hope the dealer is correct as the trailer has loads of storage etc.

Many thanks
Chris

C Nash

Re: can I tow a Sierra 272RBBS with a f150 lariet

Chris, the trailer box itself is probably 25 ft and the tongue adds the other 2 ft. Is the 6900 lb the dry weight or max loaded weight of the Sierra? If it's the max you will probably be ok. You will need sway controls towing with the short bed. Be sure and get the proper tow hitch. What year is the F150? Think you will find that it will strain going over some of the mountains.

businessmail

Thanks for the reply, the F150 is a 2006 with the 5.4 Triton Engine. I did contact the dealer now he says the weight is 7700lbs so it is becoming quite confusing. But the dealer was adamant that I could haul the trailer.

Once again many thanks

Chris

Grandview Trailer Sa

Do a general search for "2006 Ford tow ratings". You will find a result going to Ford Fleet. Click it and go to the F-150. You find a chart and will have to match up the engine, 4x4 or 4x2, which rear end ratio you have, long bed or short bed, which cab, etc. After you find how your truck is made, it will tell you the tow capacity.
The dealer could be correct because there are a couple of 7,700lb. ratings in the chart.

hertig

Sorry, you probably can't tow it. 7500 pound towing capacity is with NOTHING in the truck. No passangers, no cargo, no tools, no accessories. Just a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. And it is towing a flat trailer with 'no' wind resistance. My 'true safe towing guess' formula is '(rated weight - 1000 pounds) * 80%'. So in your case, you probably will want to try to stay with a trailer of 5200 pounds or less (loaded, not 'dry weight', because it's hardly worth towing an empty trailer :) )

A lot of dealers (but not Kenneth) will assure you that you can tow a 50' solid gold trailer with a VW beetle, because they are focused on the sale, not the accident/breakdown/lawsuit which you might suffer later.