Can you get engine braking in drive with a GM turbo 400 transmission?

larold

Any transmission guys know if there is a way to get engine braking in drive? I have a 6.2 turbo diesel with a GM 400 transmission. When in drive and i release the accelerator and it just coasts which if fine most of the time, but every now and then I hit a hill that needs it.

dbarton291

larold;74400 said:
Any transmission guys know if there is a way to get engine braking in drive? I have a 6.2 turbo diesel with a GM 400 transmission. When in drive and i release the accelerator and it just coasts which if fine most of the time, but every now and then I hit a hill that needs it.
The Turbo 400 has no lockup clutch in the torque converter. Therefore, there's no mechanical connection between engine and trans. Therefore, no engine braking. Now when you say GM 400 transmission, you mean the old heavy duty three speed turbo 400, correct?

larold

Yes, three speed turbo 400, Shifts perfect but an overdrive sure would be nice. Best mpg seems to be 55 to 60. Its an 83 GMC p30 chassis. Similar to the ups trucks. Is their an aftermarket lockup converter for it by chance?

Danomt

There is no aftermarket converter that will lock up. the trans was not designed for one, this is a common problem with the diesel engine, Some put on engine brakes....