Can You Help Me Convince My Son That Fulltiming Is Okay??

michaelsmom

I REALLY would like to become a fulltime RVer when I retire, but my son (my only relative) is scared to death about me doing this. He is worried about my care if I become unable to "motivate" the motorhome (I planned on getting a Class A), as well as being able to afford the lifestyle. I plan to workkamp to supplement my social security income, etc. Anyone out there got any good words to help me out?? I've been doing alot of research on my own, but hearing it from the people "who are there" is the best thing.

Thanks for any input you give!! Good and bad opinions are welcome!! The truth is what we want.

Happy traveling!!

Gruffy

Re: Can You Help Me Convince My Son That Fulltiming Is Okay??

We have no idea how old you are......

Work camping 20 hours a week for rent means you earn about $2.50 an hour around here,.....

A Class A will freeze solid in the northern states....

So, how old??, where do you expect to be in the winter??..... are you able to drive???.... give us a bit more info.....

Texas_Camper

First....Have you done ANY RVing at all? You plan on getting a Class A? What size? While some can drive a big 40 footer all day, others can't. After about six hours in a 36 footer, they are exhausted. But full-timers usually don't make long hauls. 200 miles per day is a long day for them. Be sure you can easily handle the rig you select.
Can you do lot's of routine maintenance? An RV, any and all RV's are different from houses. They aren't just houses with wheels. They require constant attention and maintenance.
How much income will you have after retirement? Workamping can be seasonal and the income unpredictable, so be sure you can survive with out it for periods of time.
Camp hosting usually doesn't provide you with money, but just a free site with utilities in trade for your work. This works for some.
Do you have any medical problems now? How's your overall health? Lots of variables here....
The first thing I would do is to buy a book about RVing full time. Read all you can. If you expect to spend winters in the north, you need a rig that will handle freezing weather.
If you get a Class A, you will need a vehicle to get around (commonly referred to as a "toad"), otherwise you will either have to walk everywhere or unhook and drive the motorhome everywhere you go...Will you be comfortable with a Class A towng a vehicle?....
While you may be able to full-time, be very sure before you jump in....

DL Rupper

Hey michaelsmom, welcome to the forum. Workcampers usally are couples, that way the RV Park can get 20/30 hrs per week out of each of them for the free hookups. You need to get the Workcampers monthly publication of where the workcamping jobs are. That way you can determine if they meet your needs and location. Also, some of the RV Parks offer wages beside the free hookups. Go online to www.workamper.com.

Kirk

The "empty nest syndrome" is quite common with children of fulltimers. In time they do adjust but you may well just have to make your own decision and then prove that you can do it. As to work-camping, there are many positions that will accept a single person and there are many single work-campers out here. There are also many volunteer positions that supply a place to park with utilities so that too may be for you. We do a lot of the volunteer thing, and we love it. As far as wages, most paid work-camper positions today are paying at least $6/hour and some go as high as $12/hour. Some pay for all hours and others pay starts after some number of hours for your site and utilities. There are also many different amenities packages. I have no idea where Gruffy gets his numbers as I have never heard of any RV site that was only $50/week? The lowest I have ever heard of was $100/week, and most are more than that.

Gruffy

You need to get out more Kirk..... Google the Ross Barnett Resivour in Mississippi.... sites here are $175 without power and $225 power included. The non Resivour (private) camp up the road is $330 power included. The camp in Wilson SC is $10 a day for Passport America...less by the month..... lots of lower cost camps out there if you look.

Your staying in the "high rental" areas that's for sure....

michaelsmom

Sorry to be so long in thanking you all for your responses, and answering your questions. I am 57, my son is 38. No, I haven't done any RVing, but have wanted to since I was a kid. I've gotten quite a few books on the lifestyle, and am doing my reading, and already get the workampers magazine. I've also joined some of the RV clubs to get insight through their publications, forums, etc. So I'm doing my homework. But the ups and downs coming from people who are living it are SO HELPFUL!!

Thanks again for all your help........ :approve:

michaelsmom

Yes, I can drive a Class A. I was thinking about the A rather than C because of the CCC, size of tanks, etc. Having a toad wouldn't be a problem.

TexasClodhopper

Mary, you are old enough to make that 'young' pup sit down and listen!

Plan on working a 'real' job occationally to bring in enough money. Expenses are much higher than a workcamp job can provide for.

That doesn't mean you have to 'work' all the time! The volunteer things (like Kirk and Pam do) are much more rewarding personally than a career, but reality sets in eventually. You just have to seek a balance with your own lifestyle, and for goodness sake plan it out with an annual budget.

hertig

You really do want to try it out before you make any 'irrevocable' moves (like getting rid of your house and all your stuff, or mortgaging your soul for a top line unit). Best would be to borrow/rent a unit and go out for a week (a month would be better, but more difficult to manage) to see how you like it and how well you cope. You might even take the son along (or perhaps not, he may like it so much he comes with you when you fulltime :) ).

Kirk

Gruffy seems to know everything. I have only been fulltime for 6 1/2 years and an RV owner for thrity years so....? If you want some accurate information, don't believe any of us, but get a subscription to the magazine Workamper News and you can see just what is listed and what it offers. Just because Gruffy doesn't like the lifestyle doesn't mean it is a bad deal. There are thousands of us out here having a great time and doing what we enjoy. Sour grapes will never change the facts.

michaelsmom

RE: Can You Help Me Convince My Son That Fulltiming Is Okay??

Thanks for much for all the responses!! All opinions, good and bad, are very helpful, and often times bring up things I hadn't thought of. So keep 'em coming!!

onthecoach

HI Michaelsmom,

Let me tell you my story...maybe this will help Michael understand.

In the early 1990's my late husband and I chanced upon an RV dealer while out for a Sunday drive. "Want to look?" he asked me...I said, 'Ok.' Understand, we lived in the Washington, DC area and NO ONE -- I MEAN: NO ONE had RV's!! Not only that, neither of us had EVER camped before in our lives! Add onto THAT: I was a Jewish American Princess....WOW!!!

So, we looked...actually it was a Bounder that we saw....and I was MESMERIZED!! I LOVED IT!!! I said, "When I retire I want to jump into one of these things and see the whole country!" He agreed. So, we started going to RV shows and factories and doing our homework. We decided what we wanted: A Class A Motorhome, about 36-38 feet.

In 1995 we found a GREAT deal on slightly used Pace Arrow. We bought it and we started learning about the RV Lifestyle first hand. We joined the Capitol Chapter of FMCA and went to rallys almost every month. We met wonderful people and we learned about the coach by trial and fire and had a great time doing it!

Regrettably, my husband passed away in 1998. I kept the coach, because traveling was my dream, too.

In 2004, I met a wonderful man. In 2005, I made the decision to follow my heart and stay with my man. This meant selling my house and almost all of my belongings. Henry and I are now full-timing in a brand new Bounder Turbo-Diesel. We spent 1 year in Madison, Wisconsin; then last Summer in Cincinnati, OH and now we are in Golden, CO. Henry is still working, but will be retiring soon. I retired in 2005, when I sold the house.

My family was quite suprised (and a little upset and scared) when I made my announcement (I have a daughter and a son, 32 and 28 years old-respectively). My parents were afraid for me...what happens if it doesn't work out? What will I do? I have no house, no furniture? What happens if I get sick or injured?

Well, I have health insurance and I have a car. I have email and a cell phone and I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself. And...I do have Henry!

The bottom line is that my family did come to understand that my happiness was what is most important. I had been there for all of them for over 50 years and now it was my turn to take a chance and live the adventure of my life.

Let me tell you---this has been the best time of my life! We have had some trials and tribulation with the coach, but we have hung in there and perservered! It has been a GREAT adventure and I hope you find the courage to follow your dream, too!

You may want to look into joining Escapees -- great group for Full-timers, as well as, Family Motorcoach Association (FMCA).

Tell Michael you need to do this....and you hope he will trust your instincts and support you. You will meet wonderful people on the road and we are all more than happy to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, Michaelmom! Hope to see you on the road!

Texas_Camper

Lynn
That was one of the best posts I've ever read....and this Gentile's hat is off to you.....

onthecoach

Thank you, Texas Camper!! Very kind words!

I hope I was able to help Michaelsmom....it would be so sad if she wants to try this and is afraid to do it because of her son!

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Can You Help Me Convince My Son That Fulltiming Is Okay??

Hey MichaelsMom! Welcome to the board.

Gruffy is right you can find some cheaper sites out there if you look. I know the state parks in Louisiana are $16 per night but if you have a Golden Access pass you only pay 1/2 price! This is with full hookups. At least that is what we had and paid at the Sam Houston Jones State Park in Lake Charles, LA.

benwd

sezkirk---"Gruffy seems to know everything. I have only been fulltime for 6 1/2 years and an RV owner for thrity years so....? "

You said gruffy knows everything, and the implication of your condescending comment is that you know more than he does via experience. Are we to imply from this that you actually know more than everything now.???

kirk.

The word is "courtesy." If you make agressive posts that criticize those of others, you can expect a defensive response.

SnowbirdInFlight

benwd - 3/1/2007 3:23 PM sezkirk---"Gruffy seems to know everything. I have only been fulltime for 6 1/2 years and an RV owner for thrity years so....? " You said gruffy knows everything, and the implication of your condescending comment is that you know more than he does via experience. Are we to imply from this that you actually know more than everything now.??? kirk. The word is "courtesy." If you make agressive posts that criticize those of others, you can expect a defensive response.

benwd you must be new to the board! Of course Cliff, I mean Kirk, knows everything. You can tell that by the picture he has of himself. Come on, can't you see how knowledgeable he is by that stance and his posture? Just ask him, he'll tell you that there isn't one subject that he doesn't have an expert opinion on! Geesh, Kirk is God on this board, just ask him, lol. :)

Texas_Camper

Lindy
Your make money on the internet thingy seems like a pyramid scheme...
At least to me anyway