Can you ride in the back of a 5th Wheel?

JeffG

Hi, everyone, again, new to considering being an RV'er. I didn't realize you could ride in the back of a 5th wheel going down the road? Someone told me it is legal----I thought it was illegal to do this?

If it is legal, has anyone sat back in one going down the road? What was it like? Uncomfortable with the rattling noises?

Any experience here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

team3360

some states do allow this but others dont , there is a web site about towing in all states ,gives all towing infor. but I cant think of it right now. My opinion is "", to much happening on the road .No comunication between tow and trailer, and If you had to stop fast the ones riding in the trailer would not be prepared for a quick stop due to lack of vision . Its got to be awfully noisiy back there too just my thoughts TEAM3360

Browzin

JeffG
Every state has different laws, your best source of information would be to check the laws of the state that you intend to travel in.

Now personally I would not allow or want some one ridding in a trailer while going down the highway be it a 5th wheel or any other type.

hertig

Can you? Of course. Should you? Probably not.

As was mentioned, it is illegal in some states and requires some form of 2 way communication to be legal in others. It is a bit noisy; we tried using a baby monitor to listen to the cats back there, but all we could hear was road noise. But most importantly, many trailers do not have shocks. My significant other tried riding in the seat at the rear, and was airborne at each bump (and she is not light). She said that laying on the bed (over the truck rear axel which does have shocks) was not a problem.

Of course, no trailer has any protection against sudden stops or accidents.

C Nash

Jeff, you scared me even talking about it. Don't do it.

JeffG

Thanks, for all your comments. I wasn't planning on it, and won't. I just heard someone on the RV lot talk about it, and was curious. I agree about the "no communication," and wouldn't want my kids and wife back there and something go wrong.

s.harrington

Check out the new Trailer Life Travel Guide. Its in the section that also covers whether or not you need a braking mechanism in your car when you tow it.

c

I don't think it would be wise even if legal. From Fl to Texas we saw 2 different wreck's with 5th flipped over. Never know what the other drivers are going to do or when a tire might go.
C

kitfoxjh

JeffG, When we first owned our 5th wheel, we thought we could ride in it and I got radios for communication to the truck. Before we ever tried and made our first few trips, when we would stop for something the CO2 detector was beeping and fumes from truck exhaust were bad. Had to take the batteries out while we were stopped. Besides all the other horrible things that could go wrong, we never did it.

hertig

John, if your trailer is filling with truck fumes, that needs attention... And taking the batteries out of the CO2 detector may do wonders for battery life, but not much for your life. By the way, might want to take that CO2 detector out and put in a CO detector (CO2 is the stuff you breathe out, CO is the poison) :)

kitfoxjh

Hertig, My error on the deadly gas, I surely meant CO, however I only took the batteries out during our stop for lunch or whatever because the alarm wouldn't stop until the detector was aired out. Would never have stayed in the 5th wheel overnight without the detector operating. Both the 5th wheel and truck are gone, but I think it was just a matter of the 5th wheel not being sealed real tight underneath and the dual exhaust over a period of time traveling, found it's way inside.