Caravanning in Alaska

jrkrone

My wife and I are thinking of traveling soon (this summer) to Alaska (via our Thor Motorhome) and was wondering what kind of experience one has when they travel in a RV caravan. Any recomendations?? Thanks

LotRott74

Caravanning in Alaska

I have been told windshields take a beating up there....replace any bad glass on the front of your rig AFTER your trip.

Oh yeah...if you make it into Anchorage check out Chilcoot Charlies! :dead:

556211.jpg

yeshaiz

Caravanning in Alaska

Windshild are problem on the gravel sections of the access roaods to Alaska in the Yukon and NWT and on the Arctic road north of Fairbanks. Not too many gravel roads in Alaska itself. I built a homemade mesh fence to protect the front end of my Nissan Pathfinder (Windshild, Expensive headlight and Radiator) from flying stones - and it works very good.Yeshaiz@hotmail.com 6046859106

C Nash

Caravanning in Alaska

Returned from Alaska this past August. Drove the MH 11000 miles and another 5000 on the toad. Drove all the Dalton which is mostly dirt from Fairbanks to Prudhoe bay. No flat tires, broken windshield or damage to either vehicle on the trip. Did get DIRTY. Made a screen shield for the front of the toad. Front of MH was unprotected. Got a lot of bugs. truckers were very considerate on the Dalton. I pulled as far off the road as possible and slowed down and they did to when possible. Caravans are not for me but saw a lot of them. Like the freedom of going where I want and no plans. You meet plenty of rvs going that way so you are really not traveling alone.
Plenty of campground along the way. Great trip but allow plenty of time

Gary B

Caravanning in Alaska

Hi jrkrone, while everyone has different wants and needs, a caravan is definetly not our cup of tes. As Cheles posted we like the freedom of taking a left turn if you see something that interests you rather then the planned right turn, we have taken and rv to Alaska 3 times and it is easy to go on your own. There are campgrounds, food, resturants, fuel stops everywhere and many many points of interest. Most all caravans start at Dawson Creek, BC if you can find your way to Dawson Creek you'll no problems making it to Alaska, once in Dawson Creek theres basicly one road. We never had a problem getting a CG, we generally started out in the morning about 7:30 to 8:30 and stopped in the afternoon about 3:30/4:30 which gave pently of time to set up camp and tp explore the place we were at. Good Luck with your decision and definetly go one way or the other its a Great trip. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve: