Caravans to Alaska

amalcocer

I am in great need of hearing from people who have gone on a caravan to Alaska (Like Tracks) - their experiences, good or bad. I was recently talking to a friend about such a trip who told me that the roads are so bad in Alaska they may do very serious damage to your motor home. We have several years experience with motorhomes but never Alaska or Mexico. Any comments?

Gary B

Caravans to Alaska

Hi Foggy welcome to the forum, I don't know where the guy got his imformation, but the roads IMHO are better than the roads in OK. We have made the trip 3 times in the past 9 years with our pickup camper and a miniMH and the roads were never a real problem, yes there will/is road construction, and some places there are potholes and frost heaves, and some roads are gravel, but all and all no worse then many other states. As for Carvans we personally thing it a big waste of money, planning the trip is half the fun, basicly theres only one road with a coulpe of nice options, there are campgrounds everywhere along the road and if you stop before late night theres no problem getting a site. Fuel is available about every 50/60 miles, and food is no problem there are resturants or grocery stores. Now keep in mind that you'll not be driving 70 / 80 MPG and when the roads are less than good slow down and enjoy, for the most part the speed limit in Ca. is about 60 mph. Hope this helps and don't miss out on a great trip!!
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:
PS: Almost all carvans start in Dawson Creek, BC and you have to get there on your own and if you make that far you have it made cause its the begining of the Alaska Hiway, again have a great trip!!

C Nash

Caravans to Alaska

Foggy, We made the trip last summer in our Mh (2002 32 ft HR Vacationer)towing a toad(2002 4x4 Tracker) and I agree with Gary. The roads are not that bad. There are sections that have construction but you slow down and no problem at all. Watch the white lines on edge of road and you can spot the frost heaves. Watch for the little red flags beside the road as they indicate rough spots. Slow down and enjoy the seenery that's what we go for. i had been warned about flats, cracked w/shields, gas and camping problems by people that have not traveled it lately. No problem with any of the above but, since returning to Alabama I have got a crack in the MH w/shield and the toad so all you rvers passing through Al beware :( . We drove the toad from Fairbanks to Prudhoe bay which is gravel most of the way and had no problem and the seenery was great. Talk about the wilds :eek: . I don't like the caravan way because we like to do our own thing and you will meet and travel with fellow campers along the way. If you have problems someone will stop and help. At this time last year we were gettiing ready to leave the first of April. A trip of a life time GO FOR IT :approve: :approve: Be sure and get the current Milepost. When are you planning on leaving?

amalcocer

Caravans to Alaska

GaryB - thanks a bunch for the information. The cost was surprising to me ($4,000 t0 $6,000) too. ;)

amalcocer

Caravans to Alaska

C Nash - Believe it or not this is the third time I've tried to send you a reply thanking you for your response. Masybe third time's the charm.