Caravans

mariahofmaine

Hi! I'm a newbie from Maine. Was curious if anyone has done a caravan tour? We are looking into traveling to Alaska next summer with a caravan and would like some input. We always have traveled alone but wanted to try this at least once to make new friends and have someone else take the worry out of making reservations.

C Nash

Caravans

You will meet all kind of rvers on the alcan and make friends. We had no problem at all without reservations. Best to stop a little early. I don't like the caravan personly because we like to make our own plans as to where to go. Lots of places along the way that you will want to explore. Make the trip up the Dalton but, leave the rv at Fairbanks. welcome to the forum

mariahofmaine

Caravans

Thanks Chelse for replying. We always fly by the seat of our pants and when we leave for a month or two don't make any reservations because I have a habit of stopping for every little thing (like a patch of berries that need picking or dusk at a trash site that might have bears foraging around).
This time we thought we would try something different. The particular caravan I want to go with allows you to break away at any time and there are a lot of free days to go off on your own.
The next journey after Alaska will hopefully be to Mexico which I definately do not want to do alone.
Did you use a bug screen on the front of your rig?

C Nash

Caravans

I did put a screen over the MH radiator to keep the bugs out. Also made a protector out of aluminum and heavy screen to put on the front of toad because we were going to drive the Dalton and had heard that the 18 wheelers would cover you in grevel when meeting them. i slowed and pulled to the side when meeting them and most slowed and moved over when possible. If any caught me from behind I pulled over and let them bt. They have a job to do. No windshields crackes, flats or headlights knocked out. Funny part is after getting home I have had both w/shields in the Mh and in the toad cracked from gravel throwed up from passing vehicles HERE IN ALABAMA