Carbon Monoxide woes

Mykel

Good morning, noobie here. I have a carbon monoxide detector that will not be quiet. Whether car is idling or not , with windows open I can not get it to stop. Detector is hard wired , not battery operated. My question: Do I need a new detector? Is smoky carpet or upholstery causing detector to go off? Will auxillary battery omit carbon monoxide? This thing is driving me batty. Thx

Gary B

Carbon Monoxide woes

Hi Mykel, more then likely you need to replace it, they get dust and stuff in them it builds up and they give false warnings. You can try removing it and blowing it out with compressed air seeing if you can clean it some, I had a LP detector in our Bounder that also shut off the LP gas valve and it would do about the same thing it would beep and wouldn't trun on the gas, I callled the 800 number on the unit and the company rep. told me they only last 5 / 6 years and you have to replace em, we were on a trip so I removed it blew air in all the little vent slots and it worked good after that. Good luck and welcome to the forum & rving. :) :bleh:

Mykel

Carbon Monoxide woes

Will try removing and cleaning it first. My wife has been using the van for her field trips and brings it back filthy. Must have been 1/2 inch of dust throughout vehicle last time. LOL. You guys are a wealth of information. So glad I came over here. Thx.

hertig

Carbon Monoxide woes

Some (earlier) carbon monoxide detectors use a sensor which degrades over time (one unit degraded so fast that the sensor and battery were one unit to be replaced yearly). These sensors need to be replaced, or if not available, replace the entire unit. I'd get one which has a display of current and maximum CO level, so you can see what the detector thinks is going on. This is not an area where you want to have a unit which will not respond to CO gas...