ceiling repairs

aj-racer

rain got in over winter and cieling is damaged (pretty bad)
is there any way to reattach ceiling panels to the ribs? its a 76 25 ft mallard any one who has had this problem and made repairs i would appreciate your advice.
thanks A.J.

Grandview Trailer Sa

ceiling repairs

You could try some batten strips under the roof bows, then staple through both the strips and ceiling. The strips should hold up the ceiling. Batten (I think I am spelling correct) strips are about 1" wide and the ones in my new trailers are white to match the ceiling panels. My guess is you will probably have to paint after you get the panels up in place. Good luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

ceiling repairs

You could try some batten strips under the roof bows, then staple through both the strips and ceiling. The strips should hold up the ceiling. Batten (I think I am spelling correct) strips are about 1" wide and the ones in my new trailers are white to match the ceiling panels. My guess is you will probably have to paint after you get the panels up in place. Good luck

sp

ceiling repairs

aj,

this is the second time I had to write this. The page bombed out when I submitted it last. So, here we go again.

If it is a 1976 camper then the ceiling beams are made out of wood, usually 2X3 studs so you can nail the ceiling back up. If the studs are dry rotted but still stirdy get some liquid nails for sub floors and glue the ceiling up first. Like the other poster stated, you can get the rib pieces to cover the seams. Again nail or use the liquid nails, it bonds like concrete. I use pine lattice that I found at Home Depot. It is 1/4" thick X 1" or 11/4" wide by 8' long. I used a brad nailer to hold it up and painted it with mildew resistant bathroom paint.

If the ceiling is stained pick up some Zinser Bin, the one with the red label. It is a white shelac that covers any kind of stain. Then paint the whole thing with mildew resistant bathroom paint or the like.

If the whole ceiling is too far gone, tear it out and replace with white tile board. A 4'X 8'sheet at HD is 10 bucks. It cuts easy with a circular saw with a laminate blade. Check to see it the studs are still good. If not, sister some new ones to the old so you have someting good to nail to. Use the same lattice as stated above to cover the seams and use quarter round for the edges. It will cover where the ceiling meets the wall plus it will help hold up the ceiling in the corners where you can't reach a stud.

Check out my little picture site if you want to see before and after pictures.

sp

aj-racer

ceiling repairs

thanks for the info, i was afraid to tear the cieling down not knowing what was under (over?) it with the info i will try the batten strips first if not sucsesfull i will replace the cieling, going up to the lake where trailer is to seal the roof next week and will try to put up the cieling at this time, too bad about your trailer and the tree went up to my trailer for the first time this year to find a big oak tree had fallen down, luckily it went north and not west and just missed the trailer.
thanks again for the info guys A.J.

sp

ceiling repairs

aj,

If you are using the Platic Kote fiberglass goop for the roof bring a couple of extra forearms. That stuff works good but it kills me! I did it in 2003 and now its cracked but I'm half way there. Everytime i go to do it, it rains.

Send pictures if you have any, i'd like to see it.

sp