Cell Phones

sepisllib

Presently Judy and I have our cell phone service through a company called "U. S. Cellular". While they are a great company - there are areas where we encounter sizeable roaming charges.

Presently we have three (3) cell phones (business) and the cost is around $170 per month. We have 1000 any time minutes to be spread between all 3 phones and 1000 weekend minutes to be spread between all 3 phones.

I would like to have a comparable phone that would have nationwide service and no roaming fees. Anyone out there having good luck and service as such???

Bill & Judy

hertig

Cell Phones

I've had good luck travelling with Verizon's America's Choice plan. You just need to watch your roaming indicator to see if you are roaming or not (.69 a minute if you don't catch it). I'd say that so far I've only not been covered perhaps 5% of the time (roaming or no service). Verizon has good coverage in the eastern half of the US and less good coverage in the southwest, with fair to poor coverage in the northwest. Their full country plan was better for travelling, but not much use the home area, and they don't seem to offer it any more anyway.

I had AT&Ts anywhere plan several years ago, and it was pretty good when I started, but declined over time until I had to give it up. And last I heard, they weren't doing wireless any more (bought by Cingular, I think).

If Verizon's limited nationwide plan won't work for you,then perhaps AllTel's Total Freedom full nationwide plan will do the trick. If your phone works, no roaming or long distance charges. They also have the National Freedom plan similar to Verizon's America's Choice in coverage area.

Verizon and AllTel seem to use the same technology, so a phone from one ought to work on the other network. Whatever provider you choose, it probably would be better to have Analog capabilities as well as digital. Most cities and many interstates have good digital coverage, but when you are out in the boonies, you may need the extra power and greater range of analog. Analog is easier to add an amplifier to, as well.

LNB

Cell Phones

I have Cingular Nationwide with no roaming and find it's great.I also was a former US Cellular customer,, I've had Sprint as well.. Cingular is well on it's way to being the biggest in the US with it's aquirement of ATT.. I have 850mins w/rollover,Free mobile to mobile mins, unlimited nights/wkends..2 lines for about $70 a month..

sepisllib

Cell Phones

I just checked out cingular - plugged in my zip and discovered rather quickly that they do not provide service here - yet!

Possbily with the acquisition of at&t that may change.

Thnak you.

Bill & Judy

Cell Phones

Cingular is even good for traveling, use an address like maybe a relative or friend for the service, since you can always pay online and not worry about the paper bill.

Roaming is free so it makes no difference where you live or travel to.

Safe RVing :cool:

Poppa

Cell Phones

I have to go along with about everybody else, Cingular Nationwide has never given any trouble with roaming charges and have pretty good reception .

hertig

Cell Phones

I've heard that Cingular only has rights to AT&Ts name for a short period, after which AT&T will be coming out with a 'new' wireless service (hopefully using modern technology :)

Terry6

Cell Phones

My son told me about that. AT&T's had plan to resell Sprint's wireless service. But due to the announcement of the acquisition of AT&T by SBC that put the kabash on that. Since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless and combined their networks. Their service should be something to be reconded with.